May 13, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
Chattanooga has finally found the answer in their coaching search, as the Mocassins announced on Monday afternoon that they would be hiring VCU assistant coach Will Wade.
“After an extensive search, Will Wade distanced himself from a strong group of candidates as the clear choice to lead our men’s basketball program,” UTC AD David Blackburn said in a statement. “He has been a major piece of VCU’s success over the last four years and we feel he will bring our program back to a championship level.”
“I could not be more excited about the opportunity to lead the Chattanooga basketball program,” said Wade. “We will build a program the student-athletes, alumni, and fans all take great pride in. We will employ a fast paced, pressing style of play similar to VCU. I cannot wait to get to work.”
Wade has been a part of the VCU program for the past four seasons, helping contribute to their run to the Final Four in 2011 and to their four consecutive postseason appearances.
With the UTC job filled, Lipscomb and UMass-Lowell are the only two Division I vacancies. Director of Basketball Operations Mike Morrell will be promoted to fill Wade’s spot as an assistant at VCU.
(Image via VCU Athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 0
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)