May 13, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
Chattanooga has finally found the answer in their coaching search, as the Mocassins announced on Monday afternoon that they would be hiring VCU assistant coach Will Wade.
“After an extensive search, Will Wade distanced himself from a strong group of candidates as the clear choice to lead our men’s basketball program,” UTC AD David Blackburn said in a statement. “He has been a major piece of VCU’s success over the last four years and we feel he will bring our program back to a championship level.”
“I could not be more excited about the opportunity to lead the Chattanooga basketball program,” said Wade. “We will build a program the student-athletes, alumni, and fans all take great pride in. We will employ a fast paced, pressing style of play similar to VCU. I cannot wait to get to work.”
Wade has been a part of the VCU program for the past four seasons, helping contribute to their run to the Final Four in 2011 and to their four consecutive postseason appearances.
With the UTC job filled, Lipscomb and UMass-Lowell are the only two Division I vacancies. Director of Basketball Operations Mike Morrell will be promoted to fill Wade’s spot as an assistant at VCU.
(Image via VCU Athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)