May 13, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
Xavier landed a commitment from Edmond Sumner on Sunday night, a three-star point guard out of Detroit that currently ranks 111th in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals.
At 6-foot-2, Sumner has earned the nickname ‘Skinny’ because, well, he’s skinny, checking in at 160 pounds.
But that doesn’t mean that he can’t play. Sumner is what we like to call ‘basketball strong’. He might get pushed around while his body continues to fill out, but he’s tough and he knows how to play the game. Sumner is a point guard, but he’s unselfish enough and a good enough shooter that he can be used at either back court position.
Big guys aren’t the only players that have potential despite being undersized and waiting to grow into their frame. I enjoyed this explanation from Dave Telep:
In evaluating basketball prospects, the goal is to learn something every day, but more importantly to learn from mistakes. One of the common mistakes that comes back to haunt evaluators is dismissing the players with under-developed bodies. It’s a lesson learned by NBA evaluators (see Stephen Curry) as well as scouts and college coaches (see C.J. McCollum).
When you find a player with toughness, smarts and drive, the prudent move is to do the homework on him, vet his work ethic, and trust the college strength and conditioning coaches to do their jobs.
If a kid can play, he can play. That’s the bottom-line. Sounds like Xavier landed themselves a good one.
(Image via Rivals)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
With these dismissals Dayton has no eligible players taller than 6-foot-6.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
This may be the most interesting night of hoops this week.
Dec 17, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
What changes will Kansas make to get better by March?
Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
They are so short-handed that even the head coach is participating in practices.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Treadwell was accused of assaulting a member of the women’s team.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell broke his right hand in a win over DePaul.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EST
The Shockers miss Cleanthony Early, but how much will this hurt them in the long-term?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
This is one of the most surprising posterizeds we’ve seen this year.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Michigan State lost a lot of talent and experience from a title contender last season, but they’ve remained a top 25 team thanks to tremendous three-point shooting.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Who doesn’t love buzzer-beaters, especially when they’re from half court?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
That’s one heartbreaking way to lose a game.
Late Night Snacks: Wichita State mounts furious comeback on Alabama, Myles Turner has big night for Texas
Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Myles Turner has a monster night.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
Wichita State found a way to win in a thrilling home game against Alabama.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Creighton will be without a reserve guard for an undetermined period of time.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Duke will add the son of a former NBA legend to its roster in 2015-16.
Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Houston should get a major boost to its lineup this weekend with the return of its starting point guard.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Iowa State is losing a guard that didn’t fit into the rotation.
Dec 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Texas is already without Isaiah Taylor and lost more guard depth on Tuesday.
Dec 16, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
But there are a couple of good, off-the-radar games.
Dec 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
Only one of the ten are potential season-changers.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 2
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)