May 14, 2013, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas capped off an already impressive recruiting class with the nation’s top-ranked player on Tuesday afternoon when Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep/Thornhill, Ont.) committed to the Jayhawks over Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.
Self wasn’t sure where Wiggins would land until he announced it at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
“He brings athleticism, length, scoring ability and he’s also an assassin, an alpha dog and we definitely need that when you have a whole bunch of young kids,” Self said in an interview. “I think he’s going to be not just a good player, but have the chance to be a great one. I know the people that support our program are going to be pleasantly surprised when they see him run and play the very first time he gets the opportunity.”
The 6-foot-7 Wiggins headlines a six-person class entering Lawrence this fall, as Self looks to replace his entire starting five with some of his top recruits and returners such as Perry Ellis and Naadir Tharpe.
Wiggins averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebound this past season for Huntington Prep leading his team to a 30-3 record.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (4)