May 14, 2013, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas capped off an already impressive recruiting class with the nation’s top-ranked player on Tuesday afternoon when Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep/Thornhill, Ont.) committed to the Jayhawks over Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.
Self wasn’t sure where Wiggins would land until he announced it at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
“He brings athleticism, length, scoring ability and he’s also an assassin, an alpha dog and we definitely need that when you have a whole bunch of young kids,” Self said in an interview. “I think he’s going to be not just a good player, but have the chance to be a great one. I know the people that support our program are going to be pleasantly surprised when they see him run and play the very first time he gets the opportunity.”
The 6-foot-7 Wiggins headlines a six-person class entering Lawrence this fall, as Self looks to replace his entire starting five with some of his top recruits and returners such as Perry Ellis and Naadir Tharpe.
Wiggins averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebound this past season for Huntington Prep leading his team to a 30-3 record.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)