May 14, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Kansas capped off an already impressive recruiting class with the nation’s top-ranked player on Tuesday afternoon when Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep/Thornhill, Ont.) committed to the Jayhawks over Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.
Self wasn’t sure where Wiggins would land until he announced it at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
“He brings athleticism, length, scoring ability and he’s also an assassin, an alpha dog and we definitely need that when you have a whole bunch of young kids,” Self said in an interview. “I think he’s going to be not just a good player, but have the chance to be a great one. I know the people that support our program are going to be pleasantly surprised when they see him run and play the very first time he gets the opportunity.”
The 6-foot-7 Wiggins headlines a six-person class entering Lawrence this fall, as Self looks to replace his entire starting five with some of his top recruits and returners such as Perry Ellis and Naadir Tharpe.
Wiggins averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebound this past season for Huntington Prep leading his team to a 30-3 record.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)