May 14, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Kansas capped off an already impressive recruiting class with the nation’s top-ranked player on Tuesday afternoon when Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep/Thornhill, Ont.) committed to the Jayhawks over Kentucky, Florida State and North Carolina.
Self wasn’t sure where Wiggins would land until he announced it at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
“He brings athleticism, length, scoring ability and he’s also an assassin, an alpha dog and we definitely need that when you have a whole bunch of young kids,” Self said in an interview. “I think he’s going to be not just a good player, but have the chance to be a great one. I know the people that support our program are going to be pleasantly surprised when they see him run and play the very first time he gets the opportunity.”
The 6-foot-7 Wiggins headlines a six-person class entering Lawrence this fall, as Self looks to replace his entire starting five with some of his top recruits and returners such as Perry Ellis and Naadir Tharpe.
Wiggins averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebound this past season for Huntington Prep leading his team to a 30-3 record.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)