May 14, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Someone not named Andrew Wiggins made a big commitment on Tuesday.
Chris Chiozza (White Station/Memphis, Tenn.), one of the top point guards in the Class of 2014 committed to Florida. He picked the Gators over offers from Butler, Ohio State, Murray State, Memphis, USC, Ole Miss, Auburn, Richmond and UMass among others.
“The style of play of course (is important to me); an uptempo, defensive and athletic team and I have to have a good relationship with the coaches,” Chiozza told NBC Sports earlier this month in Fort Wayne, Ind. “I’ve been developing good relationships with many of the coaches every day. Florida, USC and Butler, those coaches have been talking to me and calling me and asking me how my day was and talking to me about anything really.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has done a good job of securing the top talent in the city of Memphis during his coaching tenure, but it had been expected for a week or so that the 5-foot-10 guard would commit elsewhere, mainly Florida. Chiozza had previously told NBC Sports he would like to explore other parts of the country for college.
Chiozza is high school teammates with Leron Black, a 6-foot-7 forward currently ranked as Rivals No. 16 overall junior.
Kasey Hill one of the nation’s top senior point guards will enroll at Florida this fall. Chiozza becomes the first Florida commit for the Class of 2014.
Florida gains an undersized guard, though he is quick with the ball in his hands and can provide another quality defender for head coach Billy Donovan.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)