May 14, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Someone not named Andrew Wiggins made a big commitment on Tuesday.
Chris Chiozza (White Station/Memphis, Tenn.), one of the top point guards in the Class of 2014 committed to Florida. He picked the Gators over offers from Butler, Ohio State, Murray State, Memphis, USC, Ole Miss, Auburn, Richmond and UMass among others.
“The style of play of course (is important to me); an uptempo, defensive and athletic team and I have to have a good relationship with the coaches,” Chiozza told NBC Sports earlier this month in Fort Wayne, Ind. “I’ve been developing good relationships with many of the coaches every day. Florida, USC and Butler, those coaches have been talking to me and calling me and asking me how my day was and talking to me about anything really.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has done a good job of securing the top talent in the city of Memphis during his coaching tenure, but it had been expected for a week or so that the 5-foot-10 guard would commit elsewhere, mainly Florida. Chiozza had previously told NBC Sports he would like to explore other parts of the country for college.
Chiozza is high school teammates with Leron Black, a 6-foot-7 forward currently ranked as Rivals No. 16 overall junior.
Kasey Hill one of the nation’s top senior point guards will enroll at Florida this fall. Chiozza becomes the first Florida commit for the Class of 2014.
Florida gains an undersized guard, though he is quick with the ball in his hands and can provide another quality defender for head coach Billy Donovan.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)