May 14, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Someone not named Andrew Wiggins made a big commitment on Tuesday.
Chris Chiozza (White Station/Memphis, Tenn.), one of the top point guards in the Class of 2014 committed to Florida. He picked the Gators over offers from Butler, Ohio State, Murray State, Memphis, USC, Ole Miss, Auburn, Richmond and UMass among others.
“The style of play of course (is important to me); an uptempo, defensive and athletic team and I have to have a good relationship with the coaches,” Chiozza told NBC Sports earlier this month in Fort Wayne, Ind. “I’ve been developing good relationships with many of the coaches every day. Florida, USC and Butler, those coaches have been talking to me and calling me and asking me how my day was and talking to me about anything really.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has done a good job of securing the top talent in the city of Memphis during his coaching tenure, but it had been expected for a week or so that the 5-foot-10 guard would commit elsewhere, mainly Florida. Chiozza had previously told NBC Sports he would like to explore other parts of the country for college.
Chiozza is high school teammates with Leron Black, a 6-foot-7 forward currently ranked as Rivals No. 16 overall junior.
Kasey Hill one of the nation’s top senior point guards will enroll at Florida this fall. Chiozza becomes the first Florida commit for the Class of 2014.
Florida gains an undersized guard, though he is quick with the ball in his hands and can provide another quality defender for head coach Billy Donovan.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)