May 14, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Someone not named Andrew Wiggins made a big commitment on Tuesday.
Chris Chiozza (White Station/Memphis, Tenn.), one of the top point guards in the Class of 2014 committed to Florida. He picked the Gators over offers from Butler, Ohio State, Murray State, Memphis, USC, Ole Miss, Auburn, Richmond and UMass among others.
“The style of play of course (is important to me); an uptempo, defensive and athletic team and I have to have a good relationship with the coaches,” Chiozza told NBC Sports earlier this month in Fort Wayne, Ind. “I’ve been developing good relationships with many of the coaches every day. Florida, USC and Butler, those coaches have been talking to me and calling me and asking me how my day was and talking to me about anything really.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has done a good job of securing the top talent in the city of Memphis during his coaching tenure, but it had been expected for a week or so that the 5-foot-10 guard would commit elsewhere, mainly Florida. Chiozza had previously told NBC Sports he would like to explore other parts of the country for college.
Chiozza is high school teammates with Leron Black, a 6-foot-7 forward currently ranked as Rivals No. 16 overall junior.
Kasey Hill one of the nation’s top senior point guards will enroll at Florida this fall. Chiozza becomes the first Florida commit for the Class of 2014.
Florida gains an undersized guard, though he is quick with the ball in his hands and can provide another quality defender for head coach Billy Donovan.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)