May 14, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Someone not named Andrew Wiggins made a big commitment on Tuesday.
Chris Chiozza (White Station/Memphis, Tenn.), one of the top point guards in the Class of 2014 committed to Florida. He picked the Gators over offers from Butler, Ohio State, Murray State, Memphis, USC, Ole Miss, Auburn, Richmond and UMass among others.
“The style of play of course (is important to me); an uptempo, defensive and athletic team and I have to have a good relationship with the coaches,” Chiozza told NBC Sports earlier this month in Fort Wayne, Ind. “I’ve been developing good relationships with many of the coaches every day. Florida, USC and Butler, those coaches have been talking to me and calling me and asking me how my day was and talking to me about anything really.”
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner has done a good job of securing the top talent in the city of Memphis during his coaching tenure, but it had been expected for a week or so that the 5-foot-10 guard would commit elsewhere, mainly Florida. Chiozza had previously told NBC Sports he would like to explore other parts of the country for college.
Chiozza is high school teammates with Leron Black, a 6-foot-7 forward currently ranked as Rivals No. 16 overall junior.
Kasey Hill one of the nation’s top senior point guards will enroll at Florida this fall. Chiozza becomes the first Florida commit for the Class of 2014.
Florida gains an undersized guard, though he is quick with the ball in his hands and can provide another quality defender for head coach Billy Donovan.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)