May 14, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
The college basketball coaching carousel spilled over into professional basketball on Tuesday when the Los Angeles Lakers announced it had hired Stanford assistant coach Mark Madsen as head coach of its NBA Developmental team the Los Angeles D-Fenders.
Madsen played nine seasons in the NBA and even coached in the D-League during the 2009-2010 season as part of the Utah Flash’s coaching staff. He is the fifth coach in D-Fender history.
“I am very grateful for the opportunity that Coach Dawkins gave me to join the Stanford program and learn under his direction and mentorship,” Madsen said in a school statement. “I appreciate the support, encouragement and feedback of Coach Dawkins in particular over the past several weeks during this decision-making process.”
Madsen spent this past season as part of Johnny Dawkins coaching staff at Stanford. Madsen graduated from Stanford in 2000 and replaced associate head coach Dick Davey a dozen years later. The previous two years, Madsen had returned to school working on his MBA at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
He replaces Reggie Theus as head coach after Theus took the head coaching job at Cal State-Northridge back in April.
“I am truly excited to see Mark earn an opportunity to be a head coach at the professional level,” added Dawkins. “Mark proved to be a terrific role model for our student-athletes on and off the court while several of our post players improved tremendously under his guidance. Mark’s professionalism and enthusiasm were invaluable assets to our program over the past year.”
Madsen was drafted with the 29th overall pick in the 2000 NBA Draft and was a two-time NBA champion with the Lakers before ending his career with the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2009. He takes over a D-Fenders team that finished 21-29 last season. The Lakers’ D-League affiliate also had a pair of call-ups this year.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)