May 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
A Brown University basketball player is in critical condition after being attacked early Sunday morning in Providence.
According to reports, Joseph Sharkey, a sophomore guard, was talking to a group of girls when he was punched in the head, unprovoked, by a man, knocking him down. Police responded, but the attacker got away.
It’s unclear if Sharkey and his attacker know each other.
Sharkey averaged 1.4 points in 12.3 minutes this past season.
UPDATE: Jeff Goodman spoke with Sharkey’s high school coach:
Northfield Mount Hermon coach John Carroll told CBSSports.com that Sharkey, who started all four years at the school, was responsive at times when he went to see his former player at Rhode Island Hospital on Sunday.
“He said, ‘I love you’ to his family,” Carroll said. “He was able to squeeze hands and push himself up.”
“He’s a great kid, so well-liked and kind,” he added. “The outreach we’re seeing just confirms all of that.”
(Image via Brown athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)