May 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
A Brown University basketball player is in critical condition after being attacked early Sunday morning in Providence.
According to reports, Joseph Sharkey, a sophomore guard, was talking to a group of girls when he was punched in the head, unprovoked, by a man, knocking him down. Police responded, but the attacker got away.
It’s unclear if Sharkey and his attacker know each other.
Sharkey averaged 1.4 points in 12.3 minutes this past season.
UPDATE: Jeff Goodman spoke with Sharkey’s high school coach:
Northfield Mount Hermon coach John Carroll told CBSSports.com that Sharkey, who started all four years at the school, was responsive at times when he went to see his former player at Rhode Island Hospital on Sunday.
“He said, ‘I love you’ to his family,” Carroll said. “He was able to squeeze hands and push himself up.”
“He’s a great kid, so well-liked and kind,” he added. “The outreach we’re seeing just confirms all of that.”
(Image via Brown athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 1
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 1
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 54
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 8
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 13
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (54)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)