May 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
A Brown University basketball player is in critical condition after being attacked early Sunday morning in Providence.
According to reports, Joseph Sharkey, a sophomore guard, was talking to a group of girls when he was punched in the head, unprovoked, by a man, knocking him down. Police responded, but the attacker got away.
It’s unclear if Sharkey and his attacker know each other.
Sharkey averaged 1.4 points in 12.3 minutes this past season.
UPDATE: Jeff Goodman spoke with Sharkey’s high school coach:
Northfield Mount Hermon coach John Carroll told CBSSports.com that Sharkey, who started all four years at the school, was responsive at times when he went to see his former player at Rhode Island Hospital on Sunday.
“He said, ‘I love you’ to his family,” Carroll said. “He was able to squeeze hands and push himself up.”
“He’s a great kid, so well-liked and kind,” he added. “The outreach we’re seeing just confirms all of that.”
(Image via Brown athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)