May 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
A Brown University basketball player is in critical condition after being attacked early Sunday morning in Providence.
According to reports, Joseph Sharkey, a sophomore guard, was talking to a group of girls when he was punched in the head, unprovoked, by a man, knocking him down. Police responded, but the attacker got away.
It’s unclear if Sharkey and his attacker know each other.
Sharkey averaged 1.4 points in 12.3 minutes this past season.
UPDATE: Jeff Goodman spoke with Sharkey’s high school coach:
Northfield Mount Hermon coach John Carroll told CBSSports.com that Sharkey, who started all four years at the school, was responsive at times when he went to see his former player at Rhode Island Hospital on Sunday.
“He said, ‘I love you’ to his family,” Carroll said. “He was able to squeeze hands and push himself up.”
“He’s a great kid, so well-liked and kind,” he added. “The outreach we’re seeing just confirms all of that.”
(Image via Brown athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)