May 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
A Brown University basketball player is in critical condition after being attacked early Sunday morning in Providence.
According to reports, Joseph Sharkey, a sophomore guard, was talking to a group of girls when he was punched in the head, unprovoked, by a man, knocking him down. Police responded, but the attacker got away.
It’s unclear if Sharkey and his attacker know each other.
Sharkey averaged 1.4 points in 12.3 minutes this past season.
UPDATE: Jeff Goodman spoke with Sharkey’s high school coach:
Northfield Mount Hermon coach John Carroll told CBSSports.com that Sharkey, who started all four years at the school, was responsive at times when he went to see his former player at Rhode Island Hospital on Sunday.
“He said, ‘I love you’ to his family,” Carroll said. “He was able to squeeze hands and push himself up.”
“He’s a great kid, so well-liked and kind,” he added. “The outreach we’re seeing just confirms all of that.”
(Image via Brown athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)