May 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Texas finished this past season 16-18 (7-11 Big 12), and as the spring semester comes to a close it’s only getting worse.
Tuesday evening, sophomore guard Julien Lewis announced he would transfer, making him yet another Longhorn to leave the program following a dismal 2012-2013 campaign.
“Texas is a good school overall, but I can do better things somewhere else,” Lewis told Mark Berman of Fox 26 on Tuesday. “It feels good. I don’t have to worry about it anymore.”
He later told Berman that he decided to transfer for new opportunities and that he informed the school of his decision to leave the program back in April. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo declared for the NBA Draft in April, despite being projected as a second round pick. Fellow sophomores Sheldon McClellan and Jaylen Bond had both decided to leave UT previously. All four of those players were members of Texas’ 2011 freshman class.
Forward Johnathan Holmes is the only player from that class who will return to Austin this fall.
With Lewis being the latest departure that means Texas will be without its top three scorers from a season ago. Texas does return four freshman from last season — Demarcus Holland, Javan Felix, Cameron Ridley and Ioannis Papapetrou — and add a recruiting class that includes a pair of point guards and shooting guards.
Next season doesn’t look anymore promising in Austin than it did last year.
Lewis committed to Texas in the summer of 2009. He reportedly held interest from Alabama, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Wichita State.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 1
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)