May 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Texas finished this past season 16-18 (7-11 Big 12), and as the spring semester comes to a close it’s only getting worse.
Tuesday evening, sophomore guard Julien Lewis announced he would transfer, making him yet another Longhorn to leave the program following a dismal 2012-2013 campaign.
“Texas is a good school overall, but I can do better things somewhere else,” Lewis told Mark Berman of Fox 26 on Tuesday. “It feels good. I don’t have to worry about it anymore.”
He later told Berman that he decided to transfer for new opportunities and that he informed the school of his decision to leave the program back in April. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo declared for the NBA Draft in April, despite being projected as a second round pick. Fellow sophomores Sheldon McClellan and Jaylen Bond had both decided to leave UT previously. All four of those players were members of Texas’ 2011 freshman class.
Forward Johnathan Holmes is the only player from that class who will return to Austin this fall.
With Lewis being the latest departure that means Texas will be without its top three scorers from a season ago. Texas does return four freshman from last season — Demarcus Holland, Javan Felix, Cameron Ridley and Ioannis Papapetrou — and add a recruiting class that includes a pair of point guards and shooting guards.
Next season doesn’t look anymore promising in Austin than it did last year.
Lewis committed to Texas in the summer of 2009. He reportedly held interest from Alabama, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Wichita State.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)