May 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Texas finished this past season 16-18 (7-11 Big 12), and as the spring semester comes to a close it’s only getting worse.
Tuesday evening, sophomore guard Julien Lewis announced he would transfer, making him yet another Longhorn to leave the program following a dismal 2012-2013 campaign.
“Texas is a good school overall, but I can do better things somewhere else,” Lewis told Mark Berman of Fox 26 on Tuesday. “It feels good. I don’t have to worry about it anymore.”
He later told Berman that he decided to transfer for new opportunities and that he informed the school of his decision to leave the program back in April. Sophomore point guard Myck Kabongo declared for the NBA Draft in April, despite being projected as a second round pick. Fellow sophomores Sheldon McClellan and Jaylen Bond had both decided to leave UT previously. All four of those players were members of Texas’ 2011 freshman class.
Forward Johnathan Holmes is the only player from that class who will return to Austin this fall.
With Lewis being the latest departure that means Texas will be without its top three scorers from a season ago. Texas does return four freshman from last season — Demarcus Holland, Javan Felix, Cameron Ridley and Ioannis Papapetrou — and add a recruiting class that includes a pair of point guards and shooting guards.
Next season doesn’t look anymore promising in Austin than it did last year.
Lewis committed to Texas in the summer of 2009. He reportedly held interest from Alabama, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Wichita State.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)