May 14, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
Every year, the college hoops season kicks off with games played in random and exotic locales.
There are tournaments in the tropics and games played on aircraft carriers. Last season, UConn and Michigan State traveled all the way to Germany to play an exhibition.
On Monday night, Wisconsin and St. John’s announced that they would be kicking off their season on November 8th by playing a game … in Sioux Falls, SD?
“In terms of locale, Wisconsin fans from around the Midwest will have the opportunity to travel to Sioux Falls and watch the game, and it just made sense for us in terms of intelligent travel for our team,” UW associate head coach Greg Gard said in a statement. “We’ve been approached by several broadcasting networks to play a neutral site game around the world and we felt that given the time of when it needed to be played, the location and the opponent that this was a great fit for us.”
The goal? Exposure for a new, $19 million, 3,250 seat facility called the Sanford Pentagon. It’s the first Division I basketball game that will be played in the arena that houses the NBDL’s Sioux Falls Skyforce.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)