May 15, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
Salaries for head coaches have increased exponentially over the years, with increased television revenues (along with revenues from other sources) have allowed schools to pay top dollar to the leaders of their major sports programs.
With four national titles and multiple ACC titles and Final Four appearances, there’s no doubt that Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has earned his keep in Durham.
How much has he earned? According to USA Today, Krzyzewski received $9.7 million in pay for the 2011 calendar year based on a tax return recently filed by the school.
That amount is a record according to the paper, which has been tracking the pay of head coaches in football and men’s basketball since 2006, surpassing the $8.9 million earned by Louisville’s Rick Pitino in 2010-11.
Some details regarding Krzyzewski’s compensation were also revealed in the tax document:
$1,978,401 in base pay, nearly the same as what he received in 2010.
$5,642,574 in bonus and incentive compensation, nearly $1.9 million more than in 2010.
$1,982,097 in retirement and other deferred compensation, a little over $500,000 more than in 2010. (This is money that Krzyzewski accrued, but was not paid, in 2011; he could receive it in a future year.)
$59,616 in other reportable compensation such as family travel.
$19,344 in non-taxable benefits.
As a private school Duke isn’t required to release its contracts, resulting in the need to examine federal tax returns when attempting to figure out how much a coach is compensated.
Some may wonder why a coach would receive such a salary, but it all boils down to what the market demands.
A successful athletic department, especially in the major revenue sports, can result in more applicants and ultimately more enrollees (not to mention an increase in donations from alumni).
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)