May 15, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
During his time at Lake Land College 7-foot center Moussa Gueye verbally committed to attend Valparaiso, only to change his mind and ultimately end up at Alabama.
After two seasons in Tuscaloosa, Gueye will transfer to Valparaiso where he will be eligible to play immediately. The news was first reported by Bill Potter and then confirmed by Paul Oren of the Northwest Indiana Times.
Gueye played in just 12 games as a junior due to a knee injury, returning to average 3.9 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots per contest last season. His addition will give Valparaiso more size and depth in the paint with both Ryan Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk having graduated.
“We’re very pleased to be adding Moussa to our basketball program,” head coach Bryce Drew said in a statement released by the school. “As a coaching staff, we are very excited to get him on campus and to start working with him.”
In addition to Gueye the Crusaders will add five freshmen, with small forward Alec Peters being the most notable of the five, and former Saint Louis guard Keith Carter. Carter will be eligible to play in games at the end of the 2013 fall semester.
Inside Valparaiso’s most experienced returnee is one-time Indiana Hoosier Bobby Capobianco, who played an average of 16.2 minutes per contest last season (5.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg). Vashil Hernandez played just 7.3 minutes per game, and David Chadwick sat out last season after transferring from Rice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)