May 15, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
During his time at Lake Land College 7-foot center Moussa Gueye verbally committed to attend Valparaiso, only to change his mind and ultimately end up at Alabama.
After two seasons in Tuscaloosa, Gueye will transfer to Valparaiso where he will be eligible to play immediately. The news was first reported by Bill Potter and then confirmed by Paul Oren of the Northwest Indiana Times.
Gueye played in just 12 games as a junior due to a knee injury, returning to average 3.9 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots per contest last season. His addition will give Valparaiso more size and depth in the paint with both Ryan Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk having graduated.
“We’re very pleased to be adding Moussa to our basketball program,” head coach Bryce Drew said in a statement released by the school. “As a coaching staff, we are very excited to get him on campus and to start working with him.”
In addition to Gueye the Crusaders will add five freshmen, with small forward Alec Peters being the most notable of the five, and former Saint Louis guard Keith Carter. Carter will be eligible to play in games at the end of the 2013 fall semester.
Inside Valparaiso’s most experienced returnee is one-time Indiana Hoosier Bobby Capobianco, who played an average of 16.2 minutes per contest last season (5.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg). Vashil Hernandez played just 7.3 minutes per game, and David Chadwick sat out last season after transferring from Rice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)