May 15, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
During his time at Lake Land College 7-foot center Moussa Gueye verbally committed to attend Valparaiso, only to change his mind and ultimately end up at Alabama.
After two seasons in Tuscaloosa, Gueye will transfer to Valparaiso where he will be eligible to play immediately. The news was first reported by Bill Potter and then confirmed by Paul Oren of the Northwest Indiana Times.
Gueye played in just 12 games as a junior due to a knee injury, returning to average 3.9 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots per contest last season. His addition will give Valparaiso more size and depth in the paint with both Ryan Broekhoff and Kevin Van Wijk having graduated.
“We’re very pleased to be adding Moussa to our basketball program,” head coach Bryce Drew said in a statement released by the school. “As a coaching staff, we are very excited to get him on campus and to start working with him.”
In addition to Gueye the Crusaders will add five freshmen, with small forward Alec Peters being the most notable of the five, and former Saint Louis guard Keith Carter. Carter will be eligible to play in games at the end of the 2013 fall semester.
Inside Valparaiso’s most experienced returnee is one-time Indiana Hoosier Bobby Capobianco, who played an average of 16.2 minutes per contest last season (5.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg). Vashil Hernandez played just 7.3 minutes per game, and David Chadwick sat out last season after transferring from Rice.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
May 6, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
This is a good pickup for a team that lost its best player in Pac-12 Player of the Year Joseph Young.
May 6, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
Olsen didn’t play much last season, with a nagging hip issue being one of the reasons why.
May 6, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
No foul play is suspected in her death.
May 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
This is the leader in the clubhouse for craziest fan tattoo I have seen.
May 6, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
Stephen Curry seems like a pretty awesome guy.
May 6, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Football is the reason that Memphis is now playing Ole Miss.
May 6, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
While one coach on the list is coming off of an NCAA tournament appearance, there are others who are dealing with NCAA tournament droughts.
May 6, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Alonzo Nelson-Ododa blocked 185 shots in three seasons.
May 6, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
McNeil faces two felony charges for domestic violence.
May 6, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Stainbrook is a national treasure. Can we get this kid another year of eligibility?
May 6, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Kennedy has led the Rebels to the NCAA tournament two of the last three seasons.
May 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Duquesne picked up an impact guard for three more seasons.
May 5, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Nevada landed a Southern Illinois transfer at forward.
May 5, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Oklahoma State has added a big man who could help in the rotation if he’s eligible.
May 5, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Old Dominion is gaining a transfer from Illinois
May 5, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Florida looks like they’ll be losing a key member of their 2015 recruiting haul.
May 5, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Nebraska picked up a guard who should help after one season.
May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Tennessee is losing its second front court player of the off season to transfer.
May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Florida State grabbed an impact shooting guard in 2016.
May 5, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
This isn’t a decision that is going to get made quickly.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)