May 15, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
With Saint Louis possessing both depth and experience on the perimeter, freshman guard Jared Drew sat out the 2012-13 season as a redshirt. But instead of returning and working to earn minutes in 2013-14, Drew will be leaving the school in a move that came as a surprise to he and his family.
In a story done by Kyle Neddenriep of the Indianapolis Star, Drew was informed by Saint Louis head coach Jim Crews just days before the end of the semester that his scholarship would not be renewed for next season.
“I was completely blindsided,” Drew, who was an all-state selection at Cathedral HS in Indianapolis as a junior and senior, told Neddenriep.
“I don’t believe they handled that situation as well as they could have. [Crews] basically told me I’m not the right fit for what he’s trying to do. I’m moving on, though.”
Unfortunately stories like this happen more often than they’re reported, as scholarships are one-year renewable. While in most instances a program will honor its commitment to a player for their full college career, they have the ability to pull the scholarship at any time.
That’s what looks to have happened to Drew at Saint Louis, which is reportedly in contention for the services of Indiana transfer Remy Abell (who is also a guard).
The issue here is the timing, as Drew has essentially lost more than a month of time that could have been used to look around the landscape for a new school. If Drew and his family are made aware of the situation then, taking the next step in the process becomes that much easier.
According to the story, schools such as Ball State, IPFW, IUPUI and Florida Atlantic (to name a few) have reached out to Drew.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)