May 15, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
San Diego State landed a huge commitment on Wednesday afternoon as Tulane transfer Josh Davis decided that he will play his final collegiate season as an Aztec.
Davis began his career at NC State, transferring to Tulane and sitting out the 2010-2011 season. As a redshirt junior, he averaged 17.6 points and 10.9 boards with the Green Wave, and since he has graduated, he will be eligible to play immediately.
Davis is a 6-foot-8, athletic forward that will certainly help SDSU replace the scoring that they lose with Chase Tapley’s graduation and Jamaal Franklin heading off to the NBA.
It’s no secret that SDSU needed to bolster their front court for this season, which is precisely what Davis will do as SDSU waits for Arizona transfer Angelo Chol to become eligible. It’s also not a secret that lanky, athletic forwards tend to thrive under Steve Fisher, and again, that’s precisely what Davis.
SDSU beat out Gonzaga for Davis. The Zags were also on the wrong end of the Mike Moser sweepstakes. With Kelly Olynyk and Elias Harris graduating, Mark Few really could have used one of those front court bodies next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (42)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)