May 15, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
In the aftermath of Andrew Wiggins’ decision to attend Kansas, many opined that John Calipari’s Kentucky Wildcats would be fine due to the arrival of an eight-member recruiting class that includes six McDonald’s All-Americans.
The folks in Las Vegas seem to be in agreement.
The interesting thing about the futures are the differences after Kentucky. While Bovada has Kansas in at 11/2 odds (second-best odds on the book) the Jayhawks aren’t as highly regarded by Vegas Insider, which has Kansas’ odds set at 15/1.
Following Kentucky on Vegas Insider’s board are Duke and defending national champion Louisville at 12/1, with Arizona, Florida and Michigan State joining Kansas at 15/1.
As for the Bovada odds, Kansas is followed by Louisville (17/2), Michigan State (12/1), Duke (14/1) and Arizona (15/1). North Carolina, which was one of the four finalists in the Wiggins “sweepstakes,” has its odds set at 16/1 on Bovada’s book and 25/1 on Vegas Insider’s book.
Florida State, considered by many to be the favorite to land Wiggins, has odds of 75/1 (Bovada) and 80/1 (Vegas Insider).
Some other interesting odds that stick out are Syracuse sitting at 40/1 on Vegas Insider (25/1 on Bovada) and Oklahoma State (50/1 odds on both books).
The Orange will makes its move to the ACC without three starters from this past season’s Final Four team but Jim Boeheim still has plenty of talent to work with, led by forward C.J. Fair and incoming freshmen Tyler Ennis and Tyler Roberson.
As for Oklahoma State, Travis Ford’s team was hailed as the extremely early favorite in the Big 12 following the decisions of Marcus Smart, Markel Brown and Le’Bryan Nash to return to Stillwater.
But with Kansas landing Wiggins that has changed in the eyes of more than a few prognosticators, which could turn the Cowboys into a value pick for bettors.
h/t CBS Sports
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)