May 15, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
In the aftermath of Andrew Wiggins’ decision to attend Kansas, many opined that John Calipari’s Kentucky Wildcats would be fine due to the arrival of an eight-member recruiting class that includes six McDonald’s All-Americans.
The folks in Las Vegas seem to be in agreement.
The interesting thing about the futures are the differences after Kentucky. While Bovada has Kansas in at 11/2 odds (second-best odds on the book) the Jayhawks aren’t as highly regarded by Vegas Insider, which has Kansas’ odds set at 15/1.
Following Kentucky on Vegas Insider’s board are Duke and defending national champion Louisville at 12/1, with Arizona, Florida and Michigan State joining Kansas at 15/1.
As for the Bovada odds, Kansas is followed by Louisville (17/2), Michigan State (12/1), Duke (14/1) and Arizona (15/1). North Carolina, which was one of the four finalists in the Wiggins “sweepstakes,” has its odds set at 16/1 on Bovada’s book and 25/1 on Vegas Insider’s book.
Florida State, considered by many to be the favorite to land Wiggins, has odds of 75/1 (Bovada) and 80/1 (Vegas Insider).
Some other interesting odds that stick out are Syracuse sitting at 40/1 on Vegas Insider (25/1 on Bovada) and Oklahoma State (50/1 odds on both books).
The Orange will makes its move to the ACC without three starters from this past season’s Final Four team but Jim Boeheim still has plenty of talent to work with, led by forward C.J. Fair and incoming freshmen Tyler Ennis and Tyler Roberson.
As for Oklahoma State, Travis Ford’s team was hailed as the extremely early favorite in the Big 12 following the decisions of Marcus Smart, Markel Brown and Le’Bryan Nash to return to Stillwater.
But with Kansas landing Wiggins that has changed in the eyes of more than a few prognosticators, which could turn the Cowboys into a value pick for bettors.
h/t CBS Sports
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)