May 16, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
The 2012-13 season was a successful one for first-year Canisius head coach Jim Baron, who managed to win 20 games and lead the Golden Griffins to their first postseason appearance since then-head coach John Beilein led the program to the NCAA tournament in 1996.
Coach Baron will welcome back son Billy for his senior campaign but there are three guards who have exhausted their eligibility: Harold Washington (13.8 ppg), Isaac Sosa (11.6 ppg) and Alshawn Hymes (7.1 ppg).
That makes the report that former Stetson guard Chris Perez has decided to transfer to Canisius an important development for the Golden Griffins. The news was first reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com.
Perez averaged 15.1 points and 4.6 rebounds per contest for the Hatters last season, shooting 48.6% from the field. A native of the Dominican Republic, Perez earned second team All-Atlantic Sun honors in 2012-13.
While he isn’t the prolific perimeter shooter that Billy Baron is, Perez (31.1% 3PT) will certainly help the Griffs offensively as they look to account for the departures noted above.
In addition to Perez, Canisius has also picked up commitments from junior college guard Jeremiah Williams and freshmen Zack Lewis and Kassius Robertson. Williams and Lewis have both signed a National Letter of Intent.
The Golden Griffins finished two games behind rival Niagara last season. With the coaching (and roster) changes at Niagara and NCAA tournament participant Iona losing MAAC Player of the Year Lamont Jones, can Coach Baron’s team play an even bigger role in the conference title race this season?
If Perez can have the impact he’s capable of, that would not be an unrealistic expectation.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)