May 17, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
After two quiet seasons at the University of Texas, sophomore Jaylen Bond made the decision to transfer. Bond, a 6-7 forward from Philadelphia, averaged just 3.1 points and 4.1 rebounds in just under 14 minutes per game during his Longhorn career.
Friday, Bond announced his decision to transfer to Temple via Twitter and it’s safe to say that he’s looking forward to playing in his hometown.
After sitting out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules Bond will have two seasons of eligibility remaining, adding experience to a group that lost both Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson (8.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg), Jake O’Brien (9.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg) and Scootie Randall (11.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg) from this season’s 24-win team.
Anthony Lee will lead the way for Fran Dunphy’s team in the front court next season and he’s capable of doing so, as he averaged 9.8 points and a team-best 6.8 rebounds per game.
The question for Temple, as they enter their first season in the American Athletic Conference, is which young players are capable of stepping up and being a factor inside.
Daniel Dingle (ten games, 3.8 mpg) and Devontae Watson (six games, 2.0 mpg) saw little playing time as freshmen, and the same can be said for 6-10 redshirt sophomore Jimmy McDonnell (six games, 1.8 mpg).
Joining them is incoming freshman forward Mark Williams, who averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds per game as a senior at Montrose Christian.
Adding Bond to the mix will help prepare Williams and Watson to take on bigger roles next season, and with the Owls’ schedule including conference opponents such as Louisville (for one season), Memphis and UConn those youngsters need to be ready when league play rolls around.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)