May 17, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
With three guards, most notably leading scorer DeAndre Kane, deciding to transfer Marshall head coach Tom Herrion was in need of some extra depth for his backcourt in 2013-14. Thanks to a commitment from 2013 combo guard Jaylen Brantley, the Thundering Herd won’t go into next season shorthanded in that area.
Brantley, who played at Notre Dame Prep last season, averaged 16 points and five assists per game, and he gives Marshall a capable perimeter shooter as well (44% 3 PT). Marshall won’t have much in the way of experience on the perimeter but they will have options.
Point guard Kareem Canty is eligible to play after sitting out all of last season due to the NCAA not clearing him academically, and both Tamron Manning (11.0 mpg) and DeVince Boykins (10.5 mpg) averaged double-digit minutes in 2012-13.
Austin Loop, who redshirted last season, and junior college transfer Justin Edmonds should also factor into the backcourt rotation next season. On the wing Herrion brings in Shawn Smith and Ryan Taylor, with Ohio transfer TyQuane Goard having the athletic ability to play at either the three or the four.
While the many new faces would concern many, Herrion seemed anxious to work with his new group in a story done by Jack Bogaczyk of Herdzone.com last month.
“We played with a bigger lineup last two years. Now, we won’t have that much girth and size, but we’ll be able to handle the ball better, spread the floor, be quicker, look like some of my (College of) Charleston teams, truly start to pressure more, extend the floor,” said Herrion
“I’m excited about having the personnel to be a better pressing team and cause more havoc with our defense to help create offense.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)