May 17, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
With three guards, most notably leading scorer DeAndre Kane, deciding to transfer Marshall head coach Tom Herrion was in need of some extra depth for his backcourt in 2013-14. Thanks to a commitment from 2013 combo guard Jaylen Brantley, the Thundering Herd won’t go into next season shorthanded in that area.
Brantley, who played at Notre Dame Prep last season, averaged 16 points and five assists per game, and he gives Marshall a capable perimeter shooter as well (44% 3 PT). Marshall won’t have much in the way of experience on the perimeter but they will have options.
Point guard Kareem Canty is eligible to play after sitting out all of last season due to the NCAA not clearing him academically, and both Tamron Manning (11.0 mpg) and DeVince Boykins (10.5 mpg) averaged double-digit minutes in 2012-13.
Austin Loop, who redshirted last season, and junior college transfer Justin Edmonds should also factor into the backcourt rotation next season. On the wing Herrion brings in Shawn Smith and Ryan Taylor, with Ohio transfer TyQuane Goard having the athletic ability to play at either the three or the four.
While the many new faces would concern many, Herrion seemed anxious to work with his new group in a story done by Jack Bogaczyk of Herdzone.com last month.
“We played with a bigger lineup last two years. Now, we won’t have that much girth and size, but we’ll be able to handle the ball better, spread the floor, be quicker, look like some of my (College of) Charleston teams, truly start to pressure more, extend the floor,” said Herrion
“I’m excited about having the personnel to be a better pressing team and cause more havoc with our defense to help create offense.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)