May 17, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
In the immediate aftermath of Steve Alford’s decision to leave New Mexico to take over as head coach at UCLA, many wondered how much would he have to pay UNM in order to get out of his contract.
While Alford and his representation argued that the coach, who led the Lobos to four Mountain West regular season titles and three NCAA tournament appearances, owed the school just $200,000 UNM stated that he owed $1 million.
Friday the two parties came to a resolution, as the school announced that the end result is a “net benefit of approximately $625,000″ according to Geoff Grammer of the Albuquerque Journal.
“On Friday afternoon, the University of New Mexico issued a news release stating that they had reached a buyout agreement with their former Men’s Basketball Coach, Steve Alford, who last month accepted the head coaching job at UCLA,” read an emailed statement UCLA sent the Journal on Friday afternoon. “The UNM news release does require some clarification. While there has not been a signed agreement, New Mexico has agreed to accept $300,000 of their original $1 million demand. A larger figure included in UNM’s release appears to include certain bonuses which Coach Alford previously agreed to forego when he decided to terminate his contract there and accept the offer from UCLA.”
Alford agreed to take the UCLA job on March 30, one day before the $1 million buyout as stipulated in the contract extension Alford signed earlier in the month would go into effect. That was the basis for Alford’s argument that he only had to pay the buyout in his prior contract.
However, according to Grammer’s report, UNM argued that because Alford did not give 30 days notice required in both contracts (the new contract was slated to go into effect on April 1) “he was still employed by the university through April 29 and the new contract was in effect.”
In the end the best thing to do was to solve the dispute without going to court, as it allows both sides to move forward. With an agreement now in place, Alford can continue to build his program at UCLA and New Mexico can proceed with the Craig Neal era.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)