May 17, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Last month it was reported that Purdue forward Sandi Marcius was running into a major complication in regards to his decision to graduate and then transfer to another school where he would be able to play as a graduate student.
That major complication was Purdue’s refusal to pay for the summer school courses Marcius needs in order to graduate, with head coach Matt Painter citing the school’s investment in Marcius and the fact that he planned on having the big man for a fifth year.
Apparently the issue has been resolved, as Marcius will transfer to DePaul and be eligible to play immediately as first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
In 29 games for the Boilermakers, Marcius averaged 3.3 points and 2.5 rebounds in just over nine minutes per game. His best offensive performance came in Purdue’s 80-75 loss to Michigan on March 6, as Marcius scored 13 points (6-fo-9 FG) while also grabbing five rebounds.
For his three seasons in West Lafayette the 6-9 forward from Croatia played just 7.8 minutes per game, averaging 2.1 points and 2.1 rebounds.
The addition of Marcius gives DePaul another body in the paint, as four front court players announced their intentions to transfer at the end of the season and there’s a chance that a fifth (6-9 forward Donnovan Kirk) could decide to do so as a graduate student.
Cleveland Melvin (16.6 ppg, 6.8 rpg) returns, but outside of he and Marcius the Blue Demons will lack experience inside. Joining the program in the front court are junior college transfers Forrest Robinson and Greg Sequele, as well as incoming freshman Tommy Hamilton Jr.
6-9 forward Peter Ryckbosch will return for his sophomore campaign but he didn’t see much time as a freshman, averaging 4.9 minutes per game in 17 contests.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)