May 17, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Last month it was reported that Purdue forward Sandi Marcius was running into a major complication in regards to his decision to graduate and then transfer to another school where he would be able to play as a graduate student.
That major complication was Purdue’s refusal to pay for the summer school courses Marcius needs in order to graduate, with head coach Matt Painter citing the school’s investment in Marcius and the fact that he planned on having the big man for a fifth year.
Apparently the issue has been resolved, as Marcius will transfer to DePaul and be eligible to play immediately as first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
In 29 games for the Boilermakers, Marcius averaged 3.3 points and 2.5 rebounds in just over nine minutes per game. His best offensive performance came in Purdue’s 80-75 loss to Michigan on March 6, as Marcius scored 13 points (6-fo-9 FG) while also grabbing five rebounds.
For his three seasons in West Lafayette the 6-9 forward from Croatia played just 7.8 minutes per game, averaging 2.1 points and 2.1 rebounds.
The addition of Marcius gives DePaul another body in the paint, as four front court players announced their intentions to transfer at the end of the season and there’s a chance that a fifth (6-9 forward Donnovan Kirk) could decide to do so as a graduate student.
Cleveland Melvin (16.6 ppg, 6.8 rpg) returns, but outside of he and Marcius the Blue Demons will lack experience inside. Joining the program in the front court are junior college transfers Forrest Robinson and Greg Sequele, as well as incoming freshman Tommy Hamilton Jr.
6-9 forward Peter Ryckbosch will return for his sophomore campaign but he didn’t see much time as a freshman, averaging 4.9 minutes per game in 17 contests.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)