May 17, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
One month after making the decision to return to Washington for his senior season, second team All-Pac-12 selection C.J. Wilcox underwent surgery on his left foot to stabilize a stress fracture that according to the Associated Press lingered for much of the 2012-13 season.
The purpose of the surgery was to stabilize the fifth metatarsal in Wilcox’s left foot. According to the school, the expectation is that Washington’s leading scorer from a season ago will be back to full strength in time for the start of the 2013-14 season.
Wilcox averaged 16.8 points and 4.3 rebounds per game for the Huskies last season, deciding to return to school due to the desire of both he and his father to “finish what we started and come back for my fifth year and lead the team.”
Including Wilcox, six of the Pac-12’s top ten scorers from last season will return in 2013-14 with Arizona State point guard Jahii Carson (18.5 ppg) leading the way.
While the conference did lose some valuable players, the return of standouts such as Wilcox could result in the conference taking another step towards a return to national relevance in 2013-14.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)