May 17, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
One month after making the decision to return to Washington for his senior season, second team All-Pac-12 selection C.J. Wilcox underwent surgery on his left foot to stabilize a stress fracture that according to the Associated Press lingered for much of the 2012-13 season.
The purpose of the surgery was to stabilize the fifth metatarsal in Wilcox’s left foot. According to the school, the expectation is that Washington’s leading scorer from a season ago will be back to full strength in time for the start of the 2013-14 season.
Wilcox averaged 16.8 points and 4.3 rebounds per game for the Huskies last season, deciding to return to school due to the desire of both he and his father to “finish what we started and come back for my fifth year and lead the team.”
Including Wilcox, six of the Pac-12′s top ten scorers from last season will return in 2013-14 with Arizona State point guard Jahii Carson (18.5 ppg) leading the way.
While the conference did lose some valuable players, the return of standouts such as Wilcox could result in the conference taking another step towards a return to national relevance in 2013-14.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)