May 17, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
In his six seasons as commissioner of the West Coast Conference, Jamie Zaninovich has helped the conference improve its brand in a variety of ways.
Whether it’s been the addition of BYU (Pacific joins this summer) or the idea to move the conference basketball tournaments to Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, it’s safe to say that Zaninovich has had a positive impact on the league.
Satisfied with the work that Zaninovich has done, it was announced Friday that the WCC Presidents’ Council has approved a contract extension for the commissioner through May 31, 2017.
“The West Coast Conference Presidents’ Council and Executive Council are pleased with the progress that continues in the WCC under the leadership of commissioner Jamie Zaninovich,” Presidents’ Council Chair and Saint Mary’s President Brother Ronald Gallagher said in the statement released by the league.
“We have seen success with conference realignment, the addition of competitors such as BYU and growth in media opportunities and exposure. We look forward to a even more robust and competitive schedule going forward with the addition of the University of the Pacific as the WCC’s 10th member this summer.”
Zaninovich’s name came up quite often among those discussing possibilities for commissioner of the new Big East Conference, which goes into effect on July 1 (the NCAA will officially recognize the league beginning on August 1). But the league remains without a commissioner for the time being, with conference meetings slated for next week.
As for the WCC, extending Zaninovich’s contract allows the conference to move forward and look for new ideas to help the conference grow even more on a national level.
“Our schools share a unique, common belief in holistic education – which is as equally impressive as their athletics accomplishments on a national level – and I am proud to be associated with such uncompromising excellence,” said Zaninovich.
“I am very focused on what lies ahead for the West Coast Conference and look forward to working with our phenomenal campus leadership in the future to further realize our strategic vision.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)