May 17, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
In his six seasons as commissioner of the West Coast Conference, Jamie Zaninovich has helped the conference improve its brand in a variety of ways.
Whether it’s been the addition of BYU (Pacific joins this summer) or the idea to move the conference basketball tournaments to Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, it’s safe to say that Zaninovich has had a positive impact on the league.
Satisfied with the work that Zaninovich has done, it was announced Friday that the WCC Presidents’ Council has approved a contract extension for the commissioner through May 31, 2017.
“The West Coast Conference Presidents’ Council and Executive Council are pleased with the progress that continues in the WCC under the leadership of commissioner Jamie Zaninovich,” Presidents’ Council Chair and Saint Mary’s President Brother Ronald Gallagher said in the statement released by the league.
“We have seen success with conference realignment, the addition of competitors such as BYU and growth in media opportunities and exposure. We look forward to a even more robust and competitive schedule going forward with the addition of the University of the Pacific as the WCC’s 10th member this summer.”
Zaninovich’s name came up quite often among those discussing possibilities for commissioner of the new Big East Conference, which goes into effect on July 1 (the NCAA will officially recognize the league beginning on August 1). But the league remains without a commissioner for the time being, with conference meetings slated for next week.
As for the WCC, extending Zaninovich’s contract allows the conference to move forward and look for new ideas to help the conference grow even more on a national level.
“Our schools share a unique, common belief in holistic education – which is as equally impressive as their athletics accomplishments on a national level – and I am proud to be associated with such uncompromising excellence,” said Zaninovich.
“I am very focused on what lies ahead for the West Coast Conference and look forward to working with our phenomenal campus leadership in the future to further realize our strategic vision.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)