May 17, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
A few days after landing a verbal commitment from 2014 point guard Edmond Sumner, the Xavier basketball program made an addition to its 2013 recruiting class on Thursday.
6-8 forward Aleksandar Vezenkov, a native of Bulgaria, will attend Xavier next season according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Vezenkov played in 20 games this past season for Aris BC in Greece, averaging 14.3 minutes, 4.0 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
As a member of Bulgaria’s U18 team last summer Vezenkov led the team in scoring (16.7 ppg) during the U18 European Championships in August while also averaging nearly six rebounds per game. In what was a busy summer for the young forward, Vezenkov also helped Bulgaria’s U20 team gain promotion into Division A the month prior.
Vezenkov is expected to once again represent his country this summer, making the move to the States just before the start of the fall semester.
Vezenkov joins Brandon Randolph and Kamall Richards in Xavier’s 2013 class, but it must also be noted that two players forced to sit out due to academic issues will be eligible as well.
Shooting guard Myles Davis and power forward Jalen Reynolds will be able to play, adding both depth and talent to a program that’s making the move from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East this summer.
Guards Semaj Christon (15.2 ppg, 4.6 apg) and Dee Davis (8.3 ppg, 3.4 apg) return, but Xavier did lose Travis Taylor and Jeff Robinson to graduation. Isaiah Philmore returns, and the new additions (especially Reynolds) will help the Musketeers in the paint.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)