May 17, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
A few days after landing a verbal commitment from 2014 point guard Edmond Sumner, the Xavier basketball program made an addition to its 2013 recruiting class on Thursday.
6-8 forward Aleksandar Vezenkov, a native of Bulgaria, will attend Xavier next season according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Vezenkov played in 20 games this past season for Aris BC in Greece, averaging 14.3 minutes, 4.0 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
As a member of Bulgaria’s U18 team last summer Vezenkov led the team in scoring (16.7 ppg) during the U18 European Championships in August while also averaging nearly six rebounds per game. In what was a busy summer for the young forward, Vezenkov also helped Bulgaria’s U20 team gain promotion into Division A the month prior.
Vezenkov is expected to once again represent his country this summer, making the move to the States just before the start of the fall semester.
Vezenkov joins Brandon Randolph and Kamall Richards in Xavier’s 2013 class, but it must also be noted that two players forced to sit out due to academic issues will be eligible as well.
Shooting guard Myles Davis and power forward Jalen Reynolds will be able to play, adding both depth and talent to a program that’s making the move from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East this summer.
Guards Semaj Christon (15.2 ppg, 4.6 apg) and Dee Davis (8.3 ppg, 3.4 apg) return, but Xavier did lose Travis Taylor and Jeff Robinson to graduation. Isaiah Philmore returns, and the new additions (especially Reynolds) will help the Musketeers in the paint.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)