May 17, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
A few days after landing a verbal commitment from 2014 point guard Edmond Sumner, the Xavier basketball program made an addition to its 2013 recruiting class on Thursday.
6-8 forward Aleksandar Vezenkov, a native of Bulgaria, will attend Xavier next season according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Vezenkov played in 20 games this past season for Aris BC in Greece, averaging 14.3 minutes, 4.0 points and 2.6 rebounds per game.
As a member of Bulgaria’s U18 team last summer Vezenkov led the team in scoring (16.7 ppg) during the U18 European Championships in August while also averaging nearly six rebounds per game. In what was a busy summer for the young forward, Vezenkov also helped Bulgaria’s U20 team gain promotion into Division A the month prior.
Vezenkov is expected to once again represent his country this summer, making the move to the States just before the start of the fall semester.
Vezenkov joins Brandon Randolph and Kamall Richards in Xavier’s 2013 class, but it must also be noted that two players forced to sit out due to academic issues will be eligible as well.
Shooting guard Myles Davis and power forward Jalen Reynolds will be able to play, adding both depth and talent to a program that’s making the move from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East this summer.
Guards Semaj Christon (15.2 ppg, 4.6 apg) and Dee Davis (8.3 ppg, 3.4 apg) return, but Xavier did lose Travis Taylor and Jeff Robinson to graduation. Isaiah Philmore returns, and the new additions (especially Reynolds) will help the Musketeers in the paint.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)