May 18, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
Since he led Team USA to a gold medal in the 2012 Olympics in London, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained that it would, in fact, be his last run at the head of the USA Basketball program.
That may be changing, however.
According to a report from Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, Coach K is considering making a return for a run to the 2014 World Championships in Madrid and the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
Krzyzewski told Thamel “there’s a chance” that he returns, while Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball’s chairman, said that they have been discussing the return “in installments” and that it could end up being resolved within a week.
While nothing is official or final yet, the fact that Coach K is open to the idea is a significant change from his stance of late. As recently as late February, he told the “Mike and Mike” Show that he would not be returning to coach the stars and stripes.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 1
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)