May 18, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
Since he led Team USA to a gold medal in the 2012 Olympics in London, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained that it would, in fact, be his last run at the head of the USA Basketball program.
That may be changing, however.
According to a report from Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, Coach K is considering making a return for a run to the 2014 World Championships in Madrid and the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
Krzyzewski told Thamel “there’s a chance” that he returns, while Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball’s chairman, said that they have been discussing the return “in installments” and that it could end up being resolved within a week.
While nothing is official or final yet, the fact that Coach K is open to the idea is a significant change from his stance of late. As recently as late February, he told the “Mike and Mike” Show that he would not be returning to coach the stars and stripes.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)