May 18, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
Since he led Team USA to a gold medal in the 2012 Olympics in London, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained that it would, in fact, be his last run at the head of the USA Basketball program.
That may be changing, however.
According to a report from Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, Coach K is considering making a return for a run to the 2014 World Championships in Madrid and the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
Krzyzewski told Thamel “there’s a chance” that he returns, while Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball’s chairman, said that they have been discussing the return “in installments” and that it could end up being resolved within a week.
While nothing is official or final yet, the fact that Coach K is open to the idea is a significant change from his stance of late. As recently as late February, he told the “Mike and Mike” Show that he would not be returning to coach the stars and stripes.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)