May 18, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Since he led Team USA to a gold medal in the 2012 Olympics in London, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained that it would, in fact, be his last run at the head of the USA Basketball program.
That may be changing, however.
According to a report from Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, Coach K is considering making a return for a run to the 2014 World Championships in Madrid and the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
Krzyzewski told Thamel “there’s a chance” that he returns, while Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball’s chairman, said that they have been discussing the return “in installments” and that it could end up being resolved within a week.
While nothing is official or final yet, the fact that Coach K is open to the idea is a significant change from his stance of late. As recently as late February, he told the “Mike and Mike” Show that he would not be returning to coach the stars and stripes.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)