May 18, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Since he led Team USA to a gold medal in the 2012 Olympics in London, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has maintained that it would, in fact, be his last run at the head of the USA Basketball program.
That may be changing, however.
According to a report from Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated, Coach K is considering making a return for a run to the 2014 World Championships in Madrid and the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
Krzyzewski told Thamel “there’s a chance” that he returns, while Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball’s chairman, said that they have been discussing the return “in installments” and that it could end up being resolved within a week.
While nothing is official or final yet, the fact that Coach K is open to the idea is a significant change from his stance of late. As recently as late February, he told the “Mike and Mike” Show that he would not be returning to coach the stars and stripes.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)