May 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Lipscomb has finally replaced long time head coach Scott Sanderson, as they hired Stetson head coach Casey Alexander, according to a report.
Alexander led the Hatters to a 15-16 record last season, as they finished 11-7 in the Atlantic Sun. Both records were the best for the program since the 2008-2009 season.
But here’s where the hire gets interesting: Alexander played for Belmont from 1992-1995 and then spent 16 seasons as an assistant coach to Rick Byrd on the Bruin’s bench. Belmont and Lipscomb are located just 2.7 miles apart in Nashville. They are also heated rivals, playing an annual bloodbath known as the Battle of the Boulevard.
Alexander is, quite clearly, a Belmont man.
And now he’s the head coach of their most hated rival.
Can you imagine Steve Wojciechowski replaced Roy Williams at North Carolina?
It looks like the Battle of the Boulevard just got that much more juice. But it’s also a move that makes a lot of sense. There aren’t many people out there that know the Belmont program better than Alexander. He was a part of it for two decades. He surely has a feel for how to build a winner at a small school in Nashville, TN, and I’d assume that’s part of the reason that he got the job.
If you can’t beat ‘em or join ‘em, just copy ‘em.
Lipscomb had been the only Division I school without a head coach. That title now falls on Stetson.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Whose tournament hopes are on the line on Tuesday night? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)