May 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Lipscomb has finally replaced long time head coach Scott Sanderson, as they hired Stetson head coach Casey Alexander, according to a report.
Alexander led the Hatters to a 15-16 record last season, as they finished 11-7 in the Atlantic Sun. Both records were the best for the program since the 2008-2009 season.
But here’s where the hire gets interesting: Alexander played for Belmont from 1992-1995 and then spent 16 seasons as an assistant coach to Rick Byrd on the Bruin’s bench. Belmont and Lipscomb are located just 2.7 miles apart in Nashville. They are also heated rivals, playing an annual bloodbath known as the Battle of the Boulevard.
Alexander is, quite clearly, a Belmont man.
And now he’s the head coach of their most hated rival.
Can you imagine Steve Wojciechowski replaced Roy Williams at North Carolina?
It looks like the Battle of the Boulevard just got that much more juice. But it’s also a move that makes a lot of sense. There aren’t many people out there that know the Belmont program better than Alexander. He was a part of it for two decades. He surely has a feel for how to build a winner at a small school in Nashville, TN, and I’d assume that’s part of the reason that he got the job.
If you can’t beat ’em or join ’em, just copy ’em.
Lipscomb had been the only Division I school without a head coach. That title now falls on Stetson.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 7
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (7)