May 19, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
On May 8 it was reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com that Marshall’s leading scorer, guard DeAndre Kane, would transfer to Pittsburgh for his senior season after graduating from Marshall.
With an average of just over 15 points and seven assists per game last season, Kane would give the Panthers a needed perimeter scorer for their debut season in the ACC.
Well there’s a chance that plans may have changed for the Pittsburgh native, who stated at the time of his commitment that Pitt represented “a perfect situation” for him.
If this were to happen it would be big news on two fronts. From a Pittsburgh point of view the “who will be called upon to score” question becomes an even tougher one to answer.
Lamar Patterson (10.0 ppg) and Talib Zanna (9.6 ppg) are the leading returnees, with rising sophomore guards Durand Johnson and James Robinson also factoring into the equation, but who is that “marquee” option?
Kane would fit into that role well for the Panthers, who have to replace leading scorer and assist man Tray Woodall (11.5 ppg, 5.1 apg) and wing J.J. Moore (8.0 ppg).
As for Memphis, the Tigers get even deeper if they can add Kane to the equation. With returnees such as Joe Jackson (13.6 ppg, 4.8 apg), Geron Johnson (10.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.5 apg) and Shaq Goodwin (7.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg) being joined by one of the country’s best recruiting classes, head coach Josh Pastner won’t lack for options.
The key in regards to Kane: an understanding of the minutes “situation.” In the three seasons that Kane played at Marshall (redshirting in 2009-10) he averaged 34.1 minutes per game, with the lowest average of the three seasons being 31.6 minutes per contest as a redshirt freshman.
To say the least, the chances of Kane receiving similar minutes at Memphis are slim given how much talent is on the roster.
So what will ultimately happen? Two fan bases anxiously await the answer.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)