May 19, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
On May 8 it was reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com that Marshall’s leading scorer, guard DeAndre Kane, would transfer to Pittsburgh for his senior season after graduating from Marshall.
With an average of just over 15 points and seven assists per game last season, Kane would give the Panthers a needed perimeter scorer for their debut season in the ACC.
Well there’s a chance that plans may have changed for the Pittsburgh native, who stated at the time of his commitment that Pitt represented “a perfect situation” for him.
If this were to happen it would be big news on two fronts. From a Pittsburgh point of view the “who will be called upon to score” question becomes an even tougher one to answer.
Lamar Patterson (10.0 ppg) and Talib Zanna (9.6 ppg) are the leading returnees, with rising sophomore guards Durand Johnson and James Robinson also factoring into the equation, but who is that “marquee” option?
Kane would fit into that role well for the Panthers, who have to replace leading scorer and assist man Tray Woodall (11.5 ppg, 5.1 apg) and wing J.J. Moore (8.0 ppg).
As for Memphis, the Tigers get even deeper if they can add Kane to the equation. With returnees such as Joe Jackson (13.6 ppg, 4.8 apg), Geron Johnson (10.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.5 apg) and Shaq Goodwin (7.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg) being joined by one of the country’s best recruiting classes, head coach Josh Pastner won’t lack for options.
The key in regards to Kane: an understanding of the minutes “situation.” In the three seasons that Kane played at Marshall (redshirting in 2009-10) he averaged 34.1 minutes per game, with the lowest average of the three seasons being 31.6 minutes per contest as a redshirt freshman.
To say the least, the chances of Kane receiving similar minutes at Memphis are slim given how much talent is on the roster.
So what will ultimately happen? Two fan bases anxiously await the answer.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)