May 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EST
Following the departure of four seniors (not counting guard Jio Fontan) and the decision of center Dewayne Dedmon to enter the 2013 NBA Draft, it’s safe to say that first-year USC head coach Andy Enfield is in need of some front court depth.
USC’s most experienced returnee next season will be 7-2 center Omar Oraby, who averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per contest after transferring to the Pac-12 school from Rice.
With commitments from 6-6 small forward Roschon Prince and 6-10 power forward Nikola Jovanovich already in tow, USC reportedly landed a commitment from former Charlotte forward Darion Clark on Sunday.
The news was reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report.
After sitting out the 2013-14 season the 6-6 Clark, who played on a national championship team at Oak Hill Academy before enrolling at Charlotte, will have three years of eligibility remaining. Pittsburgh was also in the running for Clark’s services.
In his lone season at Charlotte, Clark averaged 6.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per game, shooting 54.2% from the field.
While landing Clark certainly helps USC from a numbers standpoint down the line (Oraby will be a senior next season), there’s still a need for both size and depth in regards to next season.
The question now is who else in the 2013 class, be it a high school or junior college prospect, can Coach Enfield and his staff reel in before the start of their debut season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)