May 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Following the departure of four seniors (not counting guard Jio Fontan) and the decision of center Dewayne Dedmon to enter the 2013 NBA Draft, it’s safe to say that first-year USC head coach Andy Enfield is in need of some front court depth.
USC’s most experienced returnee next season will be 7-2 center Omar Oraby, who averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per contest after transferring to the Pac-12 school from Rice.
With commitments from 6-6 small forward Roschon Prince and 6-10 power forward Nikola Jovanovich already in tow, USC reportedly landed a commitment from former Charlotte forward Darion Clark on Sunday.
The news was reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report.
After sitting out the 2013-14 season the 6-6 Clark, who played on a national championship team at Oak Hill Academy before enrolling at Charlotte, will have three years of eligibility remaining. Pittsburgh was also in the running for Clark’s services.
In his lone season at Charlotte, Clark averaged 6.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per game, shooting 54.2% from the field.
While landing Clark certainly helps USC from a numbers standpoint down the line (Oraby will be a senior next season), there’s still a need for both size and depth in regards to next season.
The question now is who else in the 2013 class, be it a high school or junior college prospect, can Coach Enfield and his staff reel in before the start of their debut season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)