May 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Following the departure of four seniors (not counting guard Jio Fontan) and the decision of center Dewayne Dedmon to enter the 2013 NBA Draft, it’s safe to say that first-year USC head coach Andy Enfield is in need of some front court depth.
USC’s most experienced returnee next season will be 7-2 center Omar Oraby, who averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per contest after transferring to the Pac-12 school from Rice.
With commitments from 6-6 small forward Roschon Prince and 6-10 power forward Nikola Jovanovich already in tow, USC reportedly landed a commitment from former Charlotte forward Darion Clark on Sunday.
The news was reported by Rick Lewis of the Phenom Hoop Report.
After sitting out the 2013-14 season the 6-6 Clark, who played on a national championship team at Oak Hill Academy before enrolling at Charlotte, will have three years of eligibility remaining. Pittsburgh was also in the running for Clark’s services.
In his lone season at Charlotte, Clark averaged 6.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per game, shooting 54.2% from the field.
While landing Clark certainly helps USC from a numbers standpoint down the line (Oraby will be a senior next season), there’s still a need for both size and depth in regards to next season.
The question now is who else in the 2013 class, be it a high school or junior college prospect, can Coach Enfield and his staff reel in before the start of their debut season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)