May 20, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Bill Self might be challenging Rick Pitino for the title of “best college basketball offseason”. At least from a coaching perspective.
Less than a week after top prep player Andrew Wiggins committed to the Jayhawks, Self got another big commitment, this one of a different one-year variety, as former Memphis forward Tarik Black has committed to spend his senior year in Lawrence, signing a grant-in-aid agreement, according to a release from the school.
Black will take advantage of the graduate transfer rule and be eligible for the 2013-14 season.
In three seasons with the Tigers, Black was both lauded for his play in the post and criticized this past season for not reaching his potential. After averaging 9.1 points and five rebounds as a freshman, then 10.7 points and 4.9 rebounds as a sophomore, Black’s numbers dropped to 8.1 and 4.8 in 2012-13.
The news also comes a few weeks after former Arkansas forward Hunter Mickelson decided he’s come to play for the Jayhawks.
With the 6-9, 262-pound Black adding to the post depth, it looks like a front line of Black and sophomore Perry Ellis could create possibly one of the more talented forward tandems in the Big 12 Conference.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)