May 20, 2013, 6:40 PM EST
Bill Self might be challenging Rick Pitino for the title of “best college basketball offseason”. At least from a coaching perspective.
Less than a week after top prep player Andrew Wiggins committed to the Jayhawks, Self got another big commitment, this one of a different one-year variety, as former Memphis forward Tarik Black has committed to spend his senior year in Lawrence, signing a grant-in-aid agreement, according to a release from the school.
Black will take advantage of the graduate transfer rule and be eligible for the 2013-14 season.
In three seasons with the Tigers, Black was both lauded for his play in the post and criticized this past season for not reaching his potential. After averaging 9.1 points and five rebounds as a freshman, then 10.7 points and 4.9 rebounds as a sophomore, Black’s numbers dropped to 8.1 and 4.8 in 2012-13.
The news also comes a few weeks after former Arkansas forward Hunter Mickelson decided he’s come to play for the Jayhawks.
With the 6-9, 262-pound Black adding to the post depth, it looks like a front line of Black and sophomore Perry Ellis could create possibly one of the more talented forward tandems in the Big 12 Conference.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
D’Angelo Russell scored 28 to lead the Buckeyes, but none of his points were wilder than the two scored by Thompson on this play.
Mar 4, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
All of Wednesday’s relevant bubble info can be found right here.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
Kentucky head coach John Calipari is one of 15 coaches still in contention for this honor.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Kaminsky is one of five seniors on the list, and Gonzaga is the only program with two representatives.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
With the higher seeds hosting in the first three rounds of the Postseason NIT, the four one-seeds could potentially not leave campus before the semifinals at Madison Square Garden.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
The most recent title odds from Bovada.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
There are a lot of big bubbles games tonight.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
These are the small league favorites that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Hank Gathers died on the court during the WCC tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:42 AM EST
Perry Ellis suffered a nasty looking knee injury last night.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
I’ve never seen this happen before.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Justin Anderson has been out for more than three weeks after fracturing a finger.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Two strong teams enter the Valley Conference Tournament with numerous others trying to enter the frame.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EST
Georgetown and Iowa earn big road wins.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
All of Tuesday’s bubble action, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cincinnati could be losing an experienced guard for next season.
Jahlil Okafor, D’Angelo Russell among 10 finalists for Wayman Tisdale Award as nation’s best freshman
Mar 3, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
A lot of productive players on the Wayman Tisdale Award finalist list, led by Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)