May 20, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Mike Rice lost his job at Rutgers by repeatedly physically and mentally abusing his players. And it looks like he’s trying to get help with it.
A report from ESPN.com’s Andy Katz said that Rice has spent the past two weeks with former NBA guard John Lucas at his rehabilitation center in Houston getting counseled for his issues. Lucas’ center has helped many people with certain addictions or other problems, Tyrann Mathieu being one of the most notable patients, recently.
Rice, who was fired last month after video surfaced of Rice hitting his players and verbally berating them during practice. Former Athletic Director Tim Pernetti resigned as well.
“He’s doing great,” Lucas said. “His attitude has been phenomenal and our kids love his intensity and his passion for the game. He’s happy to be having this chance to give back a little bit.”
Lucas said that Rice won’t be granting interviews while he’s undergoing treatment.
If the motives are honest, which I can’t see why they wouldn’t be, good for Rice for at least taking the first few steps to come back from publicly shaming himself and his former employer. Lucas’ center has helped countless individuals in the two decades it has been opened.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)