May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
With Marcus Smart making the decision to come back for his sophomore season, paired with other key players and a solid recruiting class, Oklahoma State is threatening to be one of the favorites for a Final Four berth next season.
Memphis loses studs like Tarik Black and Adonis Thomas, but return Joe Jackson and bring in a top-flight 2013 haul themselves.
That doesn’t necessarily mean either team will need a tough non-conference schedule. But nonetheless, Oklahoma State and Memphis have signed on to play a two-year home-and-home series, beginning this November.
The first game will be Nov. 19 in Stillwater, with the return game in 2014-15 in Memphis.
Both teams already plays in the Old Spice Classic this season, where they could possibly meet again. Memphis plays the likes of Florida as well.
I’m all for top teams playing one another and not fearing what a loss might do to their tournament resume. Both of these teams have enough firepower to not have to worry about much when it comes to making the NCAA Tournament. It’s one in a long line of great non-conference games we’ll see in the 2013-14 season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)