May 20, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
Justin Tuoyo’s next stop is with a familiar face.
The sophomore-to-be will be transferring to Chattanooga, where he will be reunited with Will Wade, who took over for with the Mocs after spending the past four seasons on Shaka Smart’s staff at VCU.
The 6-9 Tuoyo averaged 1.1 points and 1.4 rebounds in his lone season with the Rams, and had a hard time collecting consistent minutes. He’s a Hampton, Ga. native.
“We are really excited about Justin,” Wade said. “He is a critical piece to a winning program. I have coached him for a year. He is long and athletic, and I have known him and his family for over three years. He is from right down the road in Georgia, just on the south side of Atlanta in Clayton County. He will be a great resource for our guys here now because he’s been through it all. I think he will be a critical piece for us because he knows exactly what I want, he knows what I am about and he knows exactly what our system is about. I was very thankful that he wanted to come to Chattanooga. He has never stepped foot on this campus. His first day of school will be his first day on campus.”
Tuoyo joins Anthonee Doyle as the signees for Wade’s first recruiting class at Chattanooga.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)