May 21, 2013, 12:40 PM EST
Kevin Stallings isn’t too happy about Sheldon Jeter’s decision to transfer.
According to a report from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Vanderbilt head coach has blocked his former player from transferring to Pitt next season.
Jeter is a graduate of Beaver Falls HS and announced over the weekend that he would be leaving the Commodores to transfer to a program closer to home. “Sheldon has indicated that he’d like to play closer to home, and we wish him the best,” Stallings said in the release that the school sent out, but apparently they only wish him the best if he transfers to a school of their choosing.
It is unclear, as of now, if Vanderbilt has decided to block Jeter from transferring to any other program. And ‘blocking’ the transfer doesn’t mean that Jeter can’t become a Panther; it means that, if Jeter were to decide to enroll at Pitt, he wouldn’t be allowed to be on scholarship while he sits out for a year due to NCAA transfer rules, having to pay his own tuition instead.
Last April, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan tried to block Jarrod Uthoff from transferring closer to him Iowa home, and he proceeded to make himself look foolish nationally. It will be interesting to see if there is the same pushback against Stallings.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)