May 21, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
Around two years ago, Bruce Pearl was fired as the University of Tennessee’s head coach stemming from lies that he told NCAA investigators that were looking into relatively minor infractions.
Pearl had hosted Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft at his house for a barbecue during a recruiting visit and a picture of him was taken at Pearl’s house. Lying to the NCAA is, quite literally, the worst possible thing that you can do, and it resulted in Pearl getting a show-cause penalty and losing his job at a program that he had built into a consistent winner after years spent in basketball purgatory.
It was a sad story at the time.
But looking back, it’s actually kind of funny.
Pearl got fired for taking a picture with a recruit at a barbecue at his house. Think about that.
Clearly, his son, Steven, has. Steven is a former Vols player that now hosts a Saturday radio show in Knoxville. He’s enough of a celebrity that Calhoun’s BBQ used him to read their radio ads, and, well, there’s a bit of genius in it:
“If there’s one thing we Pearls know, it’s how to throw a barbecue.”
“Just remember, my two rules for legendary backyard barbecues … 1) Get your food from Calhoun’s and 2) Absolutely no photography.”
“Offer not available to Aaron Craft.”
(Nice find, EB)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)