May 21, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Around two years ago, Bruce Pearl was fired as the University of Tennessee’s head coach stemming from lies that he told NCAA investigators that were looking into relatively minor infractions.
Pearl had hosted Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft at his house for a barbecue during a recruiting visit and a picture of him was taken at Pearl’s house. Lying to the NCAA is, quite literally, the worst possible thing that you can do, and it resulted in Pearl getting a show-cause penalty and losing his job at a program that he had built into a consistent winner after years spent in basketball purgatory.
It was a sad story at the time.
But looking back, it’s actually kind of funny.
Pearl got fired for taking a picture with a recruit at a barbecue at his house. Think about that.
Clearly, his son, Steven, has. Steven is a former Vols player that now hosts a Saturday radio show in Knoxville. He’s enough of a celebrity that Calhoun’s BBQ used him to read their radio ads, and, well, there’s a bit of genius in it:
“If there’s one thing we Pearls know, it’s how to throw a barbecue.”
“Just remember, my two rules for legendary backyard barbecues … 1) Get your food from Calhoun’s and 2) Absolutely no photography.”
“Offer not available to Aaron Craft.”
(Nice find, EB)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)