May 21, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
Around two years ago, Bruce Pearl was fired as the University of Tennessee’s head coach stemming from lies that he told NCAA investigators that were looking into relatively minor infractions.
Pearl had hosted Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft at his house for a barbecue during a recruiting visit and a picture of him was taken at Pearl’s house. Lying to the NCAA is, quite literally, the worst possible thing that you can do, and it resulted in Pearl getting a show-cause penalty and losing his job at a program that he had built into a consistent winner after years spent in basketball purgatory.
It was a sad story at the time.
But looking back, it’s actually kind of funny.
Pearl got fired for taking a picture with a recruit at a barbecue at his house. Think about that.
Clearly, his son, Steven, has. Steven is a former Vols player that now hosts a Saturday radio show in Knoxville. He’s enough of a celebrity that Calhoun’s BBQ used him to read their radio ads, and, well, there’s a bit of genius in it:
“If there’s one thing we Pearls know, it’s how to throw a barbecue.”
“Just remember, my two rules for legendary backyard barbecues … 1) Get your food from Calhoun’s and 2) Absolutely no photography.”
“Offer not available to Aaron Craft.”
(Nice find, EB)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)