May 22, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
A third player with eligibility remaining will not return to the BYU program next season, as it was reported that 6-8 forward Agustin Ambrosino will not be a member of the basketball program in 2013-14.
Ambrosino, who played an average of 6.2 minutes in 31 games last season, joins Raul Delgado (transferring to Metro State) and Ian Harward (retirement due to injury) as players who will not be a part of the program next season.
Ambrosino didn’t see much playing time in his one season at BYU after playing at Salt Lake Community College, averaging 1.8 points and 1.4 rebounds per game. Ambrosino’s most productive outing came in BYU’s 95-62 win over Eastern New Mexico on December 18, when he scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds in 22 minutes of action.
BYU head coach Dave Rose also has to account for the graduation of Brandon Davies in his approach to the 2013-14 season, but the arrival of highly touted power forward Eric Mika will certainly help matters.
Of the five new additions to the program two are front court players (Mike and Luke Worthington), and there’s also the return of 6-6 guard Kyle Collinsworth to consider. Collinsworth averaged 5.4 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a freshman in 2010-11 before departing for his two-year LDS mission.
Of BYU’s returnees forwards Josh Sharp (18.5 mpg, 4.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg) and Nate Austin (17.5 mpg, 3.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg) are the most experienced Cougars in the paint.
BYU also returns guards Matt Carlino, Tyler Haws and Anson Winder, with Haws averaging a team-best 21.5 points per game in his first season after serving a two-year LDS mission.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)