May 22, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
It’s all-but official now: Mike Krzyzewski will be returning to coach Team USA in the 2014 World Championships in Madrid and the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro.
Coach K, who led Team USA to a 62-1 record and gold medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, had originally said that he would be stepping down from the position. Jerry Colangelo, who is the chairman of USA Basketball, waited until after Duke’s season was over to put the full-court press on Coach K.
And it worked.
Some details, from Thamel:
Krzyzewski will coach the first mini-camp for this Olympic cycle in late July in Las Vegas. Changes are expected to Krzyzewski’s staff, which included Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni and former Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan in London. Boeheim did say on Saturday that it’s “probable” he’ll return to coach with Krzyzewski.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)