May 22, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
On Wednesday afternoon, five-star small forward Theo Pinson officially announced his intentions to stay in-state and attend North Carolina.
The Greensboro, NC, native picked the Tar Heels over Indiana, Louisville, Georgetown and Duke.
A 6-foot-6 athlete on the wing, Pinson is known for his ability to get up and down the floor and finish around the rim. He’s a good passer as well, but to truly emerge as a star at the next level, he’s going to need to develop his perimeter skills: his jump shot, his ball-handling, his ability to read a defense. At this point, much of his offensive production is the result of simply being bigger and more athletic than his competition.
The addition of Pinson, who Rivals ranks as the No. 15 player in the class, is huge for the Tar Heels, as he becomes the third commitment that Roy Williams has earned in the Class of 2014. He joins fellow five-star recruit Justin Jackson, a 6-foot-8 wing from Houston, and top 25 point guard Joel Berry, a four-star prospect from Florida.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)