May 22, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
On Wednesday afternoon, five-star small forward Theo Pinson officially announced his intentions to stay in-state and attend North Carolina.
The Greensboro, NC, native picked the Tar Heels over Indiana, Louisville, Georgetown and Duke.
A 6-foot-6 athlete on the wing, Pinson is known for his ability to get up and down the floor and finish around the rim. He’s a good passer as well, but to truly emerge as a star at the next level, he’s going to need to develop his perimeter skills: his jump shot, his ball-handling, his ability to read a defense. At this point, much of his offensive production is the result of simply being bigger and more athletic than his competition.
The addition of Pinson, who Rivals ranks as the No. 15 player in the class, is huge for the Tar Heels, as he becomes the third commitment that Roy Williams has earned in the Class of 2014. He joins fellow five-star recruit Justin Jackson, a 6-foot-8 wing from Houston, and top 25 point guard Joel Berry, a four-star prospect from Florida.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)