May 22, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
The last that we had heard about the AAC tournament, Mohegan Sun was planning on cobbling together an offer to get bring the ‘old Big East’ to Connecticut to play out their league championship.
That does not look like it’s going to end up happening, however.
According to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal’s Kyle Veazey, the Tiger’s interim president Brad Martin is “very, very optimistic” that the city of Memphis will land the right to host the tournament at the FedEx Forum. Adding to that speculation, the Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Memphis has emerged as the front runner to host the event while Tampa has officially pulled out of the running.
The AAC is essentially Conference USA with Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida — and, for one season, Louisville — thrown into the mix. I’m not sure that those schools would want to keep the league tournament in the arena that the Tiger’s play their home games for the long-term, but that it is an NBA arena and that it is guaranteed to be filled (at least when Memphis is playing) is an attractive option.
Or maybe the ADs and presidents that are voting just have a soft spot for Memphis barbecue and Beale Street.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)