May 22, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
The last that we had heard about the AAC tournament, Mohegan Sun was planning on cobbling together an offer to get bring the ‘old Big East’ to Connecticut to play out their league championship.
That does not look like it’s going to end up happening, however.
According to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal’s Kyle Veazey, the Tiger’s interim president Brad Martin is “very, very optimistic” that the city of Memphis will land the right to host the tournament at the FedEx Forum. Adding to that speculation, the Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Memphis has emerged as the front runner to host the event while Tampa has officially pulled out of the running.
The AAC is essentially Conference USA with Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida — and, for one season, Louisville — thrown into the mix. I’m not sure that those schools would want to keep the league tournament in the arena that the Tiger’s play their home games for the long-term, but that it is an NBA arena and that it is guaranteed to be filled (at least when Memphis is playing) is an attractive option.
Or maybe the ADs and presidents that are voting just have a soft spot for Memphis barbecue and Beale Street.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)