May 22, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
The last that we had heard about the AAC tournament, Mohegan Sun was planning on cobbling together an offer to get bring the ‘old Big East’ to Connecticut to play out their league championship.
That does not look like it’s going to end up happening, however.
According to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal’s Kyle Veazey, the Tiger’s interim president Brad Martin is “very, very optimistic” that the city of Memphis will land the right to host the tournament at the FedEx Forum. Adding to that speculation, the Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Memphis has emerged as the front runner to host the event while Tampa has officially pulled out of the running.
The AAC is essentially Conference USA with Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida — and, for one season, Louisville — thrown into the mix. I’m not sure that those schools would want to keep the league tournament in the arena that the Tiger’s play their home games for the long-term, but that it is an NBA arena and that it is guaranteed to be filled (at least when Memphis is playing) is an attractive option.
Or maybe the ADs and presidents that are voting just have a soft spot for Memphis barbecue and Beale Street.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)