May 22, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
The last that we had heard about the AAC tournament, Mohegan Sun was planning on cobbling together an offer to get bring the ‘old Big East’ to Connecticut to play out their league championship.
That does not look like it’s going to end up happening, however.
According to a report from the Memphis Commercial-Appeal’s Kyle Veazey, the Tiger’s interim president Brad Martin is “very, very optimistic” that the city of Memphis will land the right to host the tournament at the FedEx Forum. Adding to that speculation, the Tampa Bay Times is reporting that Memphis has emerged as the front runner to host the event while Tampa has officially pulled out of the running.
The AAC is essentially Conference USA with Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida — and, for one season, Louisville — thrown into the mix. I’m not sure that those schools would want to keep the league tournament in the arena that the Tiger’s play their home games for the long-term, but that it is an NBA arena and that it is guaranteed to be filled (at least when Memphis is playing) is an attractive option.
Or maybe the ADs and presidents that are voting just have a soft spot for Memphis barbecue and Beale Street.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)