May 22, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Will Yeguete just cannot get healthy.
The Florida forward missed the final nine games of his sophomore season with a broken foot and then had to sit out much of February after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee as a junior. He returned to play the final six games of the season.
Yeguete underwent more surgery on Wednesday on the same knee, which wasn’t exactly unexpected but will keep him out for four months, or until preseason practice are set to begin.
Yeguete averaged 5.5 points and 5.8 boards for the Gators this past season, but he was a much more valuable piece than the numbers would indicate. He’s the epitome of a glue-guy, a rebounder and a defender that plays with terrific energy and points Florida’s pressure defense.
Even with Yeguete banged up, Florida looks like they’ll be able to give Kentucky a fight in the SEC. They lose Kenny Boynton, Erik Murphy and Mike Rosario, but with Patric Young returning, freshman Chris Walker entering the program, and transfer Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, the Gators have one of the best front courts in the country. Throw in stud freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier and, potentially, Rutgers transfer Eli Carter — he could end up being ruled eligible to play immediately — and Billy Donovan will have plenty of pieces.
Hopefully,Yeguete will have these knee issues worked out by then.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)