May 22, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Will Yeguete just cannot get healthy.
The Florida forward missed the final nine games of his sophomore season with a broken foot and then had to sit out much of February after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee as a junior. He returned to play the final six games of the season.
Yeguete underwent more surgery on Wednesday on the same knee, which wasn’t exactly unexpected but will keep him out for four months, or until preseason practice are set to begin.
Yeguete averaged 5.5 points and 5.8 boards for the Gators this past season, but he was a much more valuable piece than the numbers would indicate. He’s the epitome of a glue-guy, a rebounder and a defender that plays with terrific energy and points Florida’s pressure defense.
Even with Yeguete banged up, Florida looks like they’ll be able to give Kentucky a fight in the SEC. They lose Kenny Boynton, Erik Murphy and Mike Rosario, but with Patric Young returning, freshman Chris Walker entering the program, and transfer Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, the Gators have one of the best front courts in the country. Throw in stud freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier and, potentially, Rutgers transfer Eli Carter — he could end up being ruled eligible to play immediately — and Billy Donovan will have plenty of pieces.
Hopefully,Yeguete will have these knee issues worked out by then.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)