May 22, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Will Yeguete just cannot get healthy.
The Florida forward missed the final nine games of his sophomore season with a broken foot and then had to sit out much of February after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee as a junior. He returned to play the final six games of the season.
Yeguete underwent more surgery on Wednesday on the same knee, which wasn’t exactly unexpected but will keep him out for four months, or until preseason practice are set to begin.
Yeguete averaged 5.5 points and 5.8 boards for the Gators this past season, but he was a much more valuable piece than the numbers would indicate. He’s the epitome of a glue-guy, a rebounder and a defender that plays with terrific energy and points Florida’s pressure defense.
Even with Yeguete banged up, Florida looks like they’ll be able to give Kentucky a fight in the SEC. They lose Kenny Boynton, Erik Murphy and Mike Rosario, but with Patric Young returning, freshman Chris Walker entering the program, and transfer Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, the Gators have one of the best front courts in the country. Throw in stud freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier and, potentially, Rutgers transfer Eli Carter — he could end up being ruled eligible to play immediately — and Billy Donovan will have plenty of pieces.
Hopefully,Yeguete will have these knee issues worked out by then.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)