May 22, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Will Yeguete just cannot get healthy.
The Florida forward missed the final nine games of his sophomore season with a broken foot and then had to sit out much of February after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee as a junior. He returned to play the final six games of the season.
Yeguete underwent more surgery on Wednesday on the same knee, which wasn’t exactly unexpected but will keep him out for four months, or until preseason practice are set to begin.
Yeguete averaged 5.5 points and 5.8 boards for the Gators this past season, but he was a much more valuable piece than the numbers would indicate. He’s the epitome of a glue-guy, a rebounder and a defender that plays with terrific energy and points Florida’s pressure defense.
Even with Yeguete banged up, Florida looks like they’ll be able to give Kentucky a fight in the SEC. They lose Kenny Boynton, Erik Murphy and Mike Rosario, but with Patric Young returning, freshman Chris Walker entering the program, and transfer Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, the Gators have one of the best front courts in the country. Throw in stud freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier and, potentially, Rutgers transfer Eli Carter — he could end up being ruled eligible to play immediately — and Billy Donovan will have plenty of pieces.
Hopefully,Yeguete will have these knee issues worked out by then.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)