May 22, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Will Yeguete just cannot get healthy.
The Florida forward missed the final nine games of his sophomore season with a broken foot and then had to sit out much of February after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee as a junior. He returned to play the final six games of the season.
Yeguete underwent more surgery on Wednesday on the same knee, which wasn’t exactly unexpected but will keep him out for four months, or until preseason practice are set to begin.
Yeguete averaged 5.5 points and 5.8 boards for the Gators this past season, but he was a much more valuable piece than the numbers would indicate. He’s the epitome of a glue-guy, a rebounder and a defender that plays with terrific energy and points Florida’s pressure defense.
Even with Yeguete banged up, Florida looks like they’ll be able to give Kentucky a fight in the SEC. They lose Kenny Boynton, Erik Murphy and Mike Rosario, but with Patric Young returning, freshman Chris Walker entering the program, and transfer Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith, the Gators have one of the best front courts in the country. Throw in stud freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier and, potentially, Rutgers transfer Eli Carter — he could end up being ruled eligible to play immediately — and Billy Donovan will have plenty of pieces.
Hopefully,Yeguete will have these knee issues worked out by then.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)