May 23, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski made it official on Thursday afternoon: he’ll be coaching Team USA basketball through at least the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
That’s been known for almost a week now.
The interesting bit of news that came out of his press conference on Thursday afternoon had nothing to do with Team USA and everything to do with Duke.
In short, Coach K will remain with the Blue Devils throughout his tenure as Team USA head coach.
When Mike Krzyzewski and his wife were discussing earlier this spring whether he ought to return as U.S. men’s national coach, she asked if that commitment would be easier for him if he resigned from his post at Duke prior to the 2016 Olympics.
Krzyzewski’s response will make all Blue Devils fans smile.
“Really it’s just the opposite,” Krzyzewski told reporters at a news conference in Durham on Thursday. “I don’t think anybody should coach the (Olympic) team unless they’re still coaching. You’ve got to stay sharp. I’m coaching in the best league against the best competition and the best players that I can. Doing that, it becomes easier.”
Asked to clarify if that meant he’d definitely coach at Duke through at least the 2015-16 season, the 66-year-old Krzyzewski said, “Obviously I’m not going to end before the Olympics.”
Not that there were many of them, but any rumors about Coach K retiring can be put to rest for now.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)