May 23, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski made it official on Thursday afternoon: he’ll be coaching Team USA basketball through at least the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
That’s been known for almost a week now.
The interesting bit of news that came out of his press conference on Thursday afternoon had nothing to do with Team USA and everything to do with Duke.
In short, Coach K will remain with the Blue Devils throughout his tenure as Team USA head coach.
When Mike Krzyzewski and his wife were discussing earlier this spring whether he ought to return as U.S. men’s national coach, she asked if that commitment would be easier for him if he resigned from his post at Duke prior to the 2016 Olympics.
Krzyzewski’s response will make all Blue Devils fans smile.
“Really it’s just the opposite,” Krzyzewski told reporters at a news conference in Durham on Thursday. “I don’t think anybody should coach the (Olympic) team unless they’re still coaching. You’ve got to stay sharp. I’m coaching in the best league against the best competition and the best players that I can. Doing that, it becomes easier.”
Asked to clarify if that meant he’d definitely coach at Duke through at least the 2015-16 season, the 66-year-old Krzyzewski said, “Obviously I’m not going to end before the Olympics.”
Not that there were many of them, but any rumors about Coach K retiring can be put to rest for now.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)