May 23, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski made it official on Thursday afternoon: he’ll be coaching Team USA basketball through at least the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
That’s been known for almost a week now.
The interesting bit of news that came out of his press conference on Thursday afternoon had nothing to do with Team USA and everything to do with Duke.
In short, Coach K will remain with the Blue Devils throughout his tenure as Team USA head coach.
When Mike Krzyzewski and his wife were discussing earlier this spring whether he ought to return as U.S. men’s national coach, she asked if that commitment would be easier for him if he resigned from his post at Duke prior to the 2016 Olympics.
Krzyzewski’s response will make all Blue Devils fans smile.
“Really it’s just the opposite,” Krzyzewski told reporters at a news conference in Durham on Thursday. “I don’t think anybody should coach the (Olympic) team unless they’re still coaching. You’ve got to stay sharp. I’m coaching in the best league against the best competition and the best players that I can. Doing that, it becomes easier.”
Asked to clarify if that meant he’d definitely coach at Duke through at least the 2015-16 season, the 66-year-old Krzyzewski said, “Obviously I’m not going to end before the Olympics.”
Not that there were many of them, but any rumors about Coach K retiring can be put to rest for now.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)