May 24, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
During the spring multiple allegations surfaced regarding Green Bay head coach Brian Wardle’s treatment of some of his players, and some of the charges went well beyond the use of profane language.
In one instance former center Ryan Bross alleged that he was forced to run sprints until ultimately soiling his shorts, despite stating the fact that he was dealing with stomach issues.
But for the two players and their families who spoke out against the coach, there were others who supported Wardle.
On Friday, the school announced after completing an investigation into the charges that Wardle will retain his position according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. There will be sanctions levied against Wardle, but this could have ended in far worse fashion for him.
Those sanctions, as outlined by Chancellor Thomas Harden, are:
• Coach Wardle will be permitted to continue as head men’s basketball coach, but his contract will not be extended during 2013 (beyond his current contract ending date of 2017). Future extensions will be reviewed on an annual basis;
• A disciplinary letter addressing Coach Wardle’s use of vulgar and obscene language and his suggestion that a player have sex will be placed in his personnel file;
• Coach Wardle will be assigned an adviser for the 2013-14 season, with the goal of improving some of the ways in which he motivates student athletes;
• Coach Wardle will be required to be more involved in University-wide activities in the future, to better understand the broader University environment.
In three seasons at Green Bay, Wardle has a record of 47-49. Last season the Phoenix finished with an overall record of 18-16, going 10-6 and finishing tied for third in the Horizon League.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)