May 24, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
During the spring multiple allegations surfaced regarding Green Bay head coach Brian Wardle’s treatment of some of his players, and some of the charges went well beyond the use of profane language.
In one instance former center Ryan Bross alleged that he was forced to run sprints until ultimately soiling his shorts, despite stating the fact that he was dealing with stomach issues.
But for the two players and their families who spoke out against the coach, there were others who supported Wardle.
On Friday, the school announced after completing an investigation into the charges that Wardle will retain his position according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. There will be sanctions levied against Wardle, but this could have ended in far worse fashion for him.
Those sanctions, as outlined by Chancellor Thomas Harden, are:
• Coach Wardle will be permitted to continue as head men’s basketball coach, but his contract will not be extended during 2013 (beyond his current contract ending date of 2017). Future extensions will be reviewed on an annual basis;
• A disciplinary letter addressing Coach Wardle’s use of vulgar and obscene language and his suggestion that a player have sex will be placed in his personnel file;
• Coach Wardle will be assigned an adviser for the 2013-14 season, with the goal of improving some of the ways in which he motivates student athletes;
• Coach Wardle will be required to be more involved in University-wide activities in the future, to better understand the broader University environment.
In three seasons at Green Bay, Wardle has a record of 47-49. Last season the Phoenix finished with an overall record of 18-16, going 10-6 and finishing tied for third in the Horizon League.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)