May 24, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
With Javon McCrea and Cameron Downing entering their senior campaign at Buffalo, first-year head coach Bobby Hurley can use some additional front court depth that will benefit the Bulls in 2014.
Hurley’s numbers received a boost on Friday afternoon, as it was reported by Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com that former Marshall forward Jamir Hanner has decided to transfer to Buffalo.
After sitting out the 2013-14 season Hanner, who was originally a Seton Hall commit, will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Hanner averaged just over seven minutes per game in his two seasons at Marshall, but it’s important to note that his time in Huntington coincided with that of players such as Elijah Pittman (16.1 ppg, 4.2 rpg in 2012-13) and Dennis Tinnon (10.5 ppg, 9.1 rpg).
With those players getting the majority of the minutes under Tom Herrion, there wasn’t much playing time available for Hanner.
As a sophomore Hanner averaged 3.6 points and 2.5 rebounds per contest, with his most productive outing being a 12-point, seven-rebound night in a loss at Ohio on January 5.
Hanner joins a front court that will include the likes of McCrea (18.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg) and Will Regan (11.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg) next season, and the opportunity to practice every day against one of the best forwards in the Mid-American Conference (McCrea) should help the Philadelphia native improve his skill set.
Once eligible the following year, Hanner will join Regan, Xavier Ford and Indian Hills CC transfer Justin Moss (9.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg in his lone season at Indian Hills) in the Buffalo rotation.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)