May 24, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With the graduation of leading scorers Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson, there was a chance that 6-6 forward Myke Henry would see more opportunities to produce for Illinois in 2013-14.
However it seems as if the Chicago native won’t be around to realize such possibilities, as it was reported by the Champaign News-Gazette that Henry has requested to be released from his scholarship.
In 35 games last season Henry played 10.6 minutes per game, posting averages of 3.2 points and 2.1 rebounds per contest. But even with the opportunities likely available with Illinois’ top two scorers out of eligibility, Chicago Orr HS assistant Phil Gipson stated that Henry is in search of a fresh start.
“He just decided that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else and decided he didn’t want to go back,” Gipson told Marcus Jackson of the News-Gazette.
“Illinois, that’s a great coaching staff and he loved the coaching staff, but sometimes to get yourself going you need a new environment.”
With Henry’s decision four players have decided to leave the Illinois program since the end of the season, with forwards Devin Langford, Mike Shaw and Ibby Djimde deciding to do so in late March.
As for the Fighting Illini’s depth on the wing they’ll take a hit there but won’t lack for college experience. Rayvonte Rice, a transfer from Drake, will be eligible after sitting out the 2012-13 season and he’ll be joined by former Illinois State forward Jon Ekey.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)