May 24, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With the graduation of leading scorers Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson, there was a chance that 6-6 forward Myke Henry would see more opportunities to produce for Illinois in 2013-14.
However it seems as if the Chicago native won’t be around to realize such possibilities, as it was reported by the Champaign News-Gazette that Henry has requested to be released from his scholarship.
In 35 games last season Henry played 10.6 minutes per game, posting averages of 3.2 points and 2.1 rebounds per contest. But even with the opportunities likely available with Illinois’ top two scorers out of eligibility, Chicago Orr HS assistant Phil Gipson stated that Henry is in search of a fresh start.
“He just decided that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else and decided he didn’t want to go back,” Gipson told Marcus Jackson of the News-Gazette.
“Illinois, that’s a great coaching staff and he loved the coaching staff, but sometimes to get yourself going you need a new environment.”
With Henry’s decision four players have decided to leave the Illinois program since the end of the season, with forwards Devin Langford, Mike Shaw and Ibby Djimde deciding to do so in late March.
As for the Fighting Illini’s depth on the wing they’ll take a hit there but won’t lack for college experience. Rayvonte Rice, a transfer from Drake, will be eligible after sitting out the 2012-13 season and he’ll be joined by former Illinois State forward Jon Ekey.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)