May 24, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Last November the organizers of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off announced its completed eight-team field, with programs such as Florida State, Georgetown and Michigan being confirmed participants.
Also among the eight teams: Auburn.
But apparently something changed with the Tigers’ schedule, leading to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com that Northeastern would be the eighth team in the field.
The Huskies, who won the CAA regular season title last year, replace the Tigers in the event which will once again consist of 12 games played over three days (Thursday, Friday and Sunday; taking Saturday off) in mid-November.
Joining Northeastern in San Juan are Charlotte, Florida State, Georgetown, Kansas State, Long Beach State, Michigan and VCU.
Michigan was the most successful of the eight teams last season if going by their performance in the NCAA tournament, as they reached the national title game. Along the way to the title game Michigan beat VCU in the round of 32.
And even with the early departures of Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr., John Beilein’s team is expected to once again be a contender in the Big Ten.
VCU won 27 games in its debut season as a member of the Atlantic 10, finishing second with a conference record of 12-4 and reaching the title game of the conference tournament.
Four of the eight teams won at least a share of their conference’s regular season title in 2012-13: Georgetown (Big East), Kansas State (Big 12), Long Beach State (Big West) and Northeastern. Unfortunately for those teams however, none won a game in the NCAA tournament.
While Long Beach State and Northeastern didn’t reach the Big Dance, the Hoyas and Wildcats fell to a pair of “Cinderella” programs in their respective tournament openers: Florida Gulf Coast and La Salle.
Oklahoma State won last season’s event, beating N.C. State 75-56 in the title game. Big 12 Freshman of the Year Marcus Smart was named tournament MVP.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)