May 25, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
Former Texas Tech and Santa Clara guard Decensae White was arrested on murder charges stemming from the death of a rapper from Georgia named Lil’ Phat.
White played at Texas Tech from 2006-2008 and was a member of the Santa Clara program during the 2008-2009 season. After a hiatus from the sport, White returned this past season and averaged 12.5 points at San Francisco State this past season. He made Sportscenter back in February for this shot.
White was arrested in late April in his hometown of Pacifica, CA, and was extradited back to Georgia two weeks ago. Four other men were arrested in connection with the murder. NBC Bay Area has the details:
Lil Phat, whose real name is Melvin Vernell III, was found shot dead outside of a hospital on June 7, 2012, where he was visiting his girlfriend who was preparing to give birth, according to Sandy Springs police spokesman Capt. Steve Rose.
“I termed it an assassination,” Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard told WSB-TV in Atlanta.
Authorities in Fulton County believe the five suspects were “business” associates and conspired to hire hit men to kill Vernell. The alleged motive for the murder was drugs and other “business” dealings, according to a Fulton County DA press release.
White was roommates with Michael Crabtree as a sophomore at Texas Tech, but left the program two games into his sophomore season. He lasted just two months at Santa Clara before leaving the Bay Area to try to make it as a rapper in Georgia.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)