May 25, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Former Texas Tech and Santa Clara guard Decensae White was arrested on murder charges stemming from the death of a rapper from Georgia named Lil’ Phat.
White played at Texas Tech from 2006-2008 and was a member of the Santa Clara program during the 2008-2009 season. After a hiatus from the sport, White returned this past season and averaged 12.5 points at San Francisco State this past season. He made Sportscenter back in February for this shot.
White was arrested in late April in his hometown of Pacifica, CA, and was extradited back to Georgia two weeks ago. Four other men were arrested in connection with the murder. NBC Bay Area has the details:
Lil Phat, whose real name is Melvin Vernell III, was found shot dead outside of a hospital on June 7, 2012, where he was visiting his girlfriend who was preparing to give birth, according to Sandy Springs police spokesman Capt. Steve Rose.
“I termed it an assassination,” Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard told WSB-TV in Atlanta.
Authorities in Fulton County believe the five suspects were “business” associates and conspired to hire hit men to kill Vernell. The alleged motive for the murder was drugs and other “business” dealings, according to a Fulton County DA press release.
White was roommates with Michael Crabtree as a sophomore at Texas Tech, but left the program two games into his sophomore season. He lasted just two months at Santa Clara before leaving the Bay Area to try to make it as a rapper in Georgia.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)