May 25, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Former Virginia guard Paul Jesperson has made his transfer decision today, and he’ll be joining the Northern Iowa Panthers.
Jesperson, a former Wisconsin Mr. Basketball, got off to a slow start in Charlottesville, seeing little playing time as a freshman. As a sophomore, his defensive prowess earned him more minutes, but his offensive skills still lagged. Jesperson averaged just 4.7 points in 25.7 minutes per game and opted to leave Tony Bennett’s program at the end of his sophomore season.
Jesperson had narrowed his options down to USC – where he would have played for new head coach Andy Enfield – and UNI. He announced his final decision via Twitter on Saturday evening.
Both schools had great opportunities in a handful of areas but… I had to go with UNI!
— Paul Jesperson (@pjuva2) May 25, 2013
The Panthers have several identifiable pluses for Jesperson: Cedar Falls is certainly closer to his home state of Wisconsin than Los Angeles, Jesperson will have a chance to play a larger role after sitting out his transfer season, and he’ll be playing for Ben Jacobson, architect of the Panthers’ legendary 2010 Sweet Sixteen run. With Creighton leaving the Missouri Valley, Jesperson may find himself playing a large role for a potential conference champion soon.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)