May 26, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
Will Barton, the brother of former Memphis guard Antonio Barton and shooting guard for the Portland Trailblazers, announced via his twitter account on Sunday afternoon that his young brother will transfer to the University of Tennessee for his senior season. Per NCAA transfer rules, Barton will be eligible to play right away for Cuonzo Martin.
The series of these three tweets by the elder Barton confirms that Will is encouraged and behind Antonio’s decision to take his talents to Tennessee.
As Will Barton tweeted, Antonio will be eligible to play immediately because he is set to graduate before the fall semester commences.
It was reported by CBS’ Gary Parrish on May 22nd that Barton was deciding between four schools: Kansas State, Maryland, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
Barton was a key player in Memphis’ backcourt, but saw his minutes dip since his freshman year. As a freshman, Barton averaged 8.2 points in 24.6 minutes of action per game, but last season as a junior averaged 5.6 points in 16.7 minutes.
Tennessee figures to be a borderline Top 25 team to begin the 2013-14 season in Martin’s third year at the helm, but with Trae Golden leaving the program, the Volunteers are in need of a veteran presence in their backcourt. A seasoned guard in Barton should fill this void nicely.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)