May 26, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
Will Barton, the brother of former Memphis guard Antonio Barton and shooting guard for the Portland Trailblazers, announced via his twitter account on Sunday afternoon that his young brother will transfer to the University of Tennessee for his senior season. Per NCAA transfer rules, Barton will be eligible to play right away for Cuonzo Martin.
The series of these three tweets by the elder Barton confirms that Will is encouraged and behind Antonio’s decision to take his talents to Tennessee.
As Will Barton tweeted, Antonio will be eligible to play immediately because he is set to graduate before the fall semester commences.
It was reported by CBS’ Gary Parrish on May 22nd that Barton was deciding between four schools: Kansas State, Maryland, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
Barton was a key player in Memphis’ backcourt, but saw his minutes dip since his freshman year. As a freshman, Barton averaged 8.2 points in 24.6 minutes of action per game, but last season as a junior averaged 5.6 points in 16.7 minutes.
Tennessee figures to be a borderline Top 25 team to begin the 2013-14 season in Martin’s third year at the helm, but with Trae Golden leaving the program, the Volunteers are in need of a veteran presence in their backcourt. A seasoned guard in Barton should fill this void nicely.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)