May 26, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
Will Barton, the brother of former Memphis guard Antonio Barton and shooting guard for the Portland Trailblazers, announced via his twitter account on Sunday afternoon that his young brother will transfer to the University of Tennessee for his senior season. Per NCAA transfer rules, Barton will be eligible to play right away for Cuonzo Martin.
The series of these three tweets by the elder Barton confirms that Will is encouraged and behind Antonio’s decision to take his talents to Tennessee.
My bro Antonio Barton has decided to attend the university of Tennessee for his senior year where he will be allowed to play right away—
Will Barton (@WillTheThrillB5) May 26, 2013
Proud of my bro for making his own decision & I'm 105% behind him. More importantly he graduating early this summer in 3 years. Yea dat tone—
Will Barton (@WillTheThrillB5) May 26, 2013
As Will Barton tweeted, Antonio will be eligible to play immediately because he is set to graduate before the fall semester commences.
It was reported by CBS’ Gary Parrish on May 22nd that Barton was deciding between four schools: Kansas State, Maryland, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
Barton was a key player in Memphis’ backcourt, but saw his minutes dip since his freshman year. As a freshman, Barton averaged 8.2 points in 24.6 minutes of action per game, but last season as a junior averaged 5.6 points in 16.7 minutes.
Tennessee figures to be a borderline Top 25 team to begin the 2013-14 season in Martin’s third year at the helm, but with Trae Golden leaving the program, the Volunteers are in need of a veteran presence in their backcourt. A seasoned guard in Barton should fill this void nicely.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
This took a while to plan.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
The Tigers have zero minutes of experience in their back court.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Indiana now has six commitments in the Class of 2014.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Kampe over came his fear of heights but still got hit with ice water.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Ohio State has some interesting games in the non-conference slate.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery defended some of his player’s recent offseason troubles.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)