May 26, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Much of the NCAA’s case against the University of Miami was built thanks to the words of Nevin Shapiro, a former Miami booster who is currently serving a 20-year sentence in federal prison for running a Ponzi scheme valued at $930 million.
But in light of Shapiro’s admission Sunday that he lied on the stand during a separate trial, does the governing body’s case against the school take another hit?
According to the Miami Herald Shapiro admitted to committing perjury during the trial of Juan Rene Caro, who is currently serving an 18-year sentence due to his running of a $132 million check-cashing scheme.
Shapiro told U.S. District Judge Joan Lenard that Caro, owner of the La Bamba chain of check-cashing stores, did not receive a fair trial because Shapiro committed perjury on the witness stand and his high-profile lawyers, Guy Lewis and Michael Tein, knowingly allowed him to lie.
In the accompanying Florida Bar complaint filed this month, Shapiro said he lied when he was asked about his investment company. He testified that he operated a grocery brokerage business, but the operation actually was a front for the Ponzi scheme that he later was convicted of running.
Obviously, the Caro case has nothing to do with Shapiro’s alleged involvement with the Miami athletic department. But his actions on the stand do open the door for skeptics to question the validity of his claims regarding Miami violating NCAA rules.
Shapiro’s credibility has already been questioned multiple times throughout the investigation of Miami, and Sunday’s news is the latest hit for a man who has proven to be anything but trustworthy.
And the more news along these lines comes out, the tougher it is to assume that all of the allegations made by Shapiro are true.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)