May 26, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
A couple of words the board at Rutgers might want to re-acquaint themselves with: “due” and “diligence”.
Just weeks ago, Scarlet Knights men’s head basketball coach Mike Rice was fired for verbally and physically abusing his players during practice, in a scandal that also took down the school’s AD. Rutgers alum Eddie Jordan was hired to right the ship, only to have it come out in the press that he had never actually earned his diploma from the school.
And if that weren’t enough, recently-hired AD Julie Hermann has come under fire for insensitive statements she allegedly made when she was coaching women’s volleyball at Tennessee. Allegations that she had verbally bullied a subordinate with coercive statements about the assistant’s desire to have children surfaced, but that, as we discovered today, may only be the tip of the iceberg.
NJ.com published a story late on Saturday alleging that Hermann may have been Rice-like in her own behavior while at Tennessee.
“The mental cruelty that we as a team have suffered is unbearable.” — letter from UT volleyball players on Hermann. nj.com/sports/index.s…
— Steve Politi (@StevePoliti) May 26, 2013
Read the full report here.
As recently as Friday night, the school maintained that it had reviewed Hermann’s record thoroughly and intended to retain her in her current capacity as Athletic Director. These new allegations may be too much for the school’s already gun-shy administration to take. The University President has narrowly survived calls for his own resignation, and yet another black eye for the school may presage more drastic responses to come.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)