May 26, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
A couple of words the board at Rutgers might want to re-acquaint themselves with: “due” and “diligence”.
Just weeks ago, Scarlet Knights men’s head basketball coach Mike Rice was fired for verbally and physically abusing his players during practice, in a scandal that also took down the school’s AD. Rutgers alum Eddie Jordan was hired to right the ship, only to have it come out in the press that he had never actually earned his diploma from the school.
And if that weren’t enough, recently-hired AD Julie Hermann has come under fire for insensitive statements she allegedly made when she was coaching women’s volleyball at Tennessee. Allegations that she had verbally bullied a subordinate with coercive statements about the assistant’s desire to have children surfaced, but that, as we discovered today, may only be the tip of the iceberg.
NJ.com published a story late on Saturday alleging that Hermann may have been Rice-like in her own behavior while at Tennessee.
“The mental cruelty that we as a team have suffered is unbearable.” — letter from UT volleyball players on Hermann. nj.com/sports/index.s…
— Steve Politi (@StevePoliti) May 26, 2013
Read the full report here.
As recently as Friday night, the school maintained that it had reviewed Hermann’s record thoroughly and intended to retain her in her current capacity as Athletic Director. These new allegations may be too much for the school’s already gun-shy administration to take. The University President has narrowly survived calls for his own resignation, and yet another black eye for the school may presage more drastic responses to come.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)